Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/10/06 17:02:48 UTC

problem deploying release jars to maven

I am now on step (19) of the release cookbook
(http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease), deploying the
release jars to Maven. It appears that the target directory has moved from

  /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository

  /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository

I have adjusted maven/project.properties accordingly. I can successfully
sftp my signatures to that directory. However, maven does not seem to be
copying the jars there. That is, the jars don't turn up in that
directory after running the maven script. Maven, raises no errors and
claims it's successfully copying jars to org.apache.derby/jars/.

I would appreciate some guidance about how to recover from this problem.
Should I manually sftp the jars to that directory? Is there some
diagnostic information I can get from maven which will explain why it is
failing silently?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: Re: Re: problem deploying release jars to maven

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 10/6/06, Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/6/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
> >
> > Great! Via this trick, I generated a tree of artifacts, all of which I
> > copied to the tree at
> > /www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org.apache.derby/.
> > Along the way I noticed that 10.1.3.1 doesn't have md5 and sha1
> > artifacts, although 10.1.1.0, 10.1.2.1, and 10.2.1.6 all do. This is
> > true for jars, poms, and wars. Are these artifacts optional or are they
> > supposed to go someplace else now?
>
> Hmm, those used to be there. I'm not sure what could have happened to
> them, but then they did relocate the maven repo as of late (as you
> discovered) so maybe something got lost in the shuffle. I have the
> 10.1.3.1 md5 and sha1s in my local maven repo, so I can restore them
> in the repo on people.apache.org.

FYI, I've now restored the md5 and sha1 files for the 10.1.3.1 release
to the repository at
/www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org.apache.derby/

andrew

Re: Re: problem deploying release jars to maven

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 10/6/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> I would appreciate some guidance about how to recover from this problem.
>> Should I manually sftp the jars to that directory? Is there some
>> diagnostic information I can get from maven which will explain why it is
>> failing silently?
>

> No, you need maven to generate the checksum and pom files that should
> be deployed alongside the jars.
>
> Make sure that you uncomment the maven.repo.list=apache line in the
> project.properties, so that maven picks up the list of properties for
> the repo to deploy to from the 'maven.repo.apache.*' lines that follow
> it. For a list of what the appropriate values for those lines are,
> consult this document:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/artifact/properties.html
>
> And don't miss the list of available protocols here:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/artifact/protocols.html
>
> scpexe was the only protocol for deployment that worked for me. You
> need to pick one that works for your machine and which you can also
> connect to the apache machine, which basically means sftp, scp, or
> scpexe.
>
> andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Alas, I am still not having any luck using maven to
deploy the jars, checksums, and poms. Is there some way to rig the
script so that it generates the checksums and poms locally so that I can
just sftp everything into the /www tree on people.apache.org?

For the record, I have filled my project.properties with garbage and
maven still blithely gives me the same success status. The only piece of
the property file that seems to be sensitive is the protocol. For me
that has to be either "file" or "scpexe". Here's a garbage properties
file which maven happily runs with:

## $Rev: 226555 $ $Date: 2005-07-30 11:15:15 -0700 (Sat, 30 Jul 2005) $
##

maven.multiproject.includes=*/project.xml

sanity=insane
derby.jars=../../jars/${sanity}

maven.repo.list=apache
maven.repo.apache=scpexe://garbage
maven.repo.apache.directory=garbage
maven.repo.apache.username=garbage
maven.repo.apache.password=garbage
maven.repo.apache.group=garbage

Here's a snippet of the output:

+----------------------------------------
| Executing multiproject:deploy-callback Derby Engine
| Memory: 6M/7M
+----------------------------------------

build:end:

build:start:

multiproject:deploy-callback:
    [echo] Running jar:deploy for Derby Engine
jar:jar:
    [copy] Copying 1 file to
C:\cygwin\home\rh161140\derby\branches\10.2\maven\engine\target

jar:deploy:
    [echo] Deploying...
Will deploy to 1 repository(ies): apache
Deploying to repository: apache
Uploading to org.apache.derby/poms/derby-10.2.1.6.pom:
Will deploy to 1 repository(ies): apache
Deploying to repository: apache
Uploading to org.apache.derby/jars/derby-10.2.1.6.jar:

Re: problem deploying release jars to maven

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.