Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/04 08:24:52 UTC

What has changed in Hive 2.3.2 that cannot use Spark engine.

Hi,

my Hive 2.0.1 works fine on Spark 1.3.1 engine.

select count(1) from sales;
Starting Spark Job = dc529d0e-e2d2-431f-8c17-f7867858217f
Query Hive on Spark job[5] stages:
10
11

However, once I upgraded Hive to version 2.3.2, it stopped working!

Any ideas what has changed?

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Re: What has changed in Hive 2.3.2 that cannot use Spark engine.

Posted by Sahil Takiar <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hive 2.0.1 only supports Spark 1.5.0, Hive 2.3.2 only supports Spark 2.0.0

There was probably some backwards incompatible change in Spark from 1.x to
2.x that made it stop working.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+on+Spark%3A+Getting+Started#HiveonSpark:GettingStarted-VersionCompatibility

If there is interest in running newer version of Hive with older versions
of Spark we can consider adding a Spark shims layer to Hive, similar to
what we do to support multiple Hadoop versions.

--
Sahil Takiar
Software Engineer