Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by si...@gmail.com on 2008/12/08 15:35:36 UTC

CouchDB API for Java/Groovy

Hi

I couldn't find this anywhere so I've started work on a CouchDB API for
Java/Groovy:

http://code.google.com/p/borge/

(Actually there was one project I found - couchdb-lib - which is a Java API
on Google code but I browsed the source and it seems to be nowhere near
complete.)

All comments/suggestions welcome....

Simon

Re: CouchDB API for Java/Groovy

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 10 Dec 2008, at 00:53, Avi Flax wrote:

> Two thoughts:
>
> 1) That's a lot of different java libraries for the same purpose. The
> community might be better served if all the project owners would get
> together and agree to focus on one of them, and deprecate the rest.

That's what I thought! Thanks Avi for beating me to it :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: CouchDB API for Java/Groovy

Posted by Sven Helmberger <sv...@gmx.de>.
Avi Flax schrieb:
> Two thoughts:
>
> 1) That's a lot of different java libraries for the same purpose. The
> community might be better served if all the project owners would get
> together and agree to focus on one of them, and deprecate the rest.

There are effectively two different java libraries that are working with
a current couchdb: couchdb4j and jcouchdb.

couchdb4j is the older one that already existed when I started working
on jcouchdb. Apart from it being last updated a year ago, I wouldn't
have started a new library if I would not think that it would be
worthwhile to do so.

Of course it might be better for the community if everyone worked
together on the minimal amount projects, but that's usually not how open
source works. People start projects with different ideas and goals.

My intention when writing jcouchdb was to find a way to work with your
own classes as couchdb documents (and with JSON in general). I did not
like the a way it is done with json-lib.

> 2) Once we have a good Java library, why would we need a Groovy
> library? Why not just use the Java library directly?

As I understand it, you should be able use both couchdb4j and jcouchdb
(using either normal java classes or collections) in principal.

It might be possible to actually store and retrieve GroovyObjects in
jouchdb, but I don't really expect that to work out-of-the-box.

Re: CouchDB API for Java/Groovy

Posted by Sven Helmberger <sv...@gmx.de>.
Warner Onstine schrieb:
> There is coucdb4j (http://code.google.com/p/couchdb4j/), but I would
> love to have a groovy version as I'm starting on a grails project and
> that would fit nicely, was just about to start on my own.

As recently announced, there is also http://code.google.com/p/jcouchdb/
which is a Java5 couchdb API

Re: CouchDB API for Java/Groovy

Posted by Warner Onstine <wa...@gmail.com>.
There is coucdb4j (http://code.google.com/p/couchdb4j/), but I would
love to have a groovy version as I'm starting on a grails project and
that would fit nicely, was just about to start on my own.

-warner

--
Warner Onstine - Programmer/Author
New book on Tapestry 4!