Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Brent Atkinson <ba...@usm.maine.edu> on 2008/11/19 21:27:20 UTC

Release failures after 1.1->1.2.2 upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded to continuum 1.2.2 and since the upgrade I am unable to release projects through continuum.
They are failing with the following stack trace. Removing the project and re-adding it seems to take care of the
issue, but I can't tell what changed. The only difference I can see is that the new projects have Local Repository
set to DEFAULT (the old ones have nothing set). Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,

Brent Atkinson
batkinson@usm.maine.edu
[ERROR] org.apache.maven.shared.release.ReleaseExecutionException at org.apache.continuum.release.phase.AbstractContinuumRunGoalsPhase.execute(AbstractContinuumRunGoalsPhase.java:70) at org.apache.continuum.release.phase.RunPrepareGoalsPhase.execute(RunPrepareGoalsPhase.java:47) at org.apache.maven.shared.release.DefaultReleaseManager.prepare(DefaultReleaseManager.java:194) at org.apache.maven.shared.release.DefaultReleaseManager.prepareWithResult(DefaultReleaseManager.java:107) at org.apache.maven.continuum.release.executors.PrepareReleaseTaskExecutor.execute(PrepareReleaseTaskExecutor.java:43) at org.apache.maven.continuum.release.executors.AbstractReleaseTaskExecutor.executeTask(AbstractReleaseTaskExecutor.java:67) at org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable$1.run(ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor.java:116) at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:442) at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:178) at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1061) at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:575) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException at org.apache.continuum.utils.shell.DefaultShellCommandHelper.createCommandline(DefaultShellCommandHelper.java:105) at org.apache.continuum.utils.shell.DefaultShellCommandHelper.executeGoals(DefaultShellCommandHelper.java:176) at org.apache.continuum.utils.shell.DefaultShellCommandHelper.executeGoals(DefaultShellCommandHelper.java:169) at org.apache.continuum.release.phase.AbstractContinuumRunGoalsPhase.execute(AbstractContinuumRunGoalsPhase.java:62) ... 11 more

Re: Release failures after 1.1->1.2.2 upgrade

Posted by Brent Atkinson <ba...@usm.maine.edu>.
I figured I would follow up with what I found on my own (in case anyone is looking into it). I setup a remote debugging session and was able to see what exactly was causing the exception. It appears that because existing project groups (pre-upgrade) aren't updated with a value for the local repository, the argument list passed to construct the shell command is null. When the utility class tries to enumerate the arguments, it throws an NPE and kills the execution. Because the new version of continuum creates projects with the default repo set, they don't exhibit the behavior. I have outlined my findings in http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1985 ( http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1985 ), along with how to patch up the upgraded database. I don't know if I am the only person to hit this problem, but it may be something worth documenting in the upgrade section of the continuum installation docs.

Brent Atkinson
batkinson@usm.maine.edu