Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/17 00:53:38 UTC

Regarding the configuration in BK docker image # PR 197

Hi,
Thanks a lot for @caiok <https://github.com/caiok>'s PR for BK docker
image. While in the review there was some concern related to the
configuration things, and it is some kind of fundamental for docker image,
it may be worth to have some discuss here to get some feedback. :).

In PR 197 <https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/197>, the
configuration is depends on local dir mounted to "/conf", It is good to run
docker locally, but for K8S and DC/OS, it is hard to have one "local dir"
contains user specified data.    For all disk resources are managed by and
shared in K8S or DC/OS, when disk is arriving to satisfy user request, it
usually contains nothing.
And this maybe the reason that some of the reviewers are so care about the
configurations and env variables, while reviewing @caiok's contribution.

This problem also nags me for a while. I even thought to provide a way,
which read the configurations from an internet place, but that seems not
very user friendly. Until @merlimat <https://github.com/merlimat> provide the
way
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/blob/master/docker/scripts/apply-config-from-env.py>
to read env variables inside docker.  What do you think of this way?

Thanks a lot.
-Jia

Re: Regarding the configuration in BK docker image # PR 197

Posted by Francesco Caliumi - Diennea <fr...@diennea.com>.
Thanks Jia for bringing the discussion on the list.

In my opinion, the script could be useful in order to having a flexible way to altering bk_server.conf at container creation. It currently lacks commented out properties handling, so in order to be effective we need to fix that. Maybe we can expand it to add all the env variables matching "PREFIX_[A-Za-z0-9.]+" (e.g. "BKCONF_allowLoopback") at the end of the file if no substitution happened in file.

I think that mounting "/conf" dir could be useful either. I didn't played with orchestration system storage options, but I used to think that was a way to mount a "shared" volume (e.g. Rancher has NFS volumes). This shouldn't create a bottleneck since containers reads only some KBs at start. If this is possible, using conf files instead of env vars could be a little easier (as well as offering a simple way to provide not only bk_server.conf but even bkenv.sh and log4j*.properties).
[...]

Iscriviti alla nostra newsletter per rimanere aggiornato su digital ed email marketing! http://www.magnews.it/newsletter/

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized, direct or indirect, disclosure, copying, storage, distribution or other use is strictly forbidden.