Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Ariel Marcus <ar...@openbi.com> on 2013/01/29 00:24:18 UTC

limit on hive partition string length

Hey All,

Just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that there is a hard limit on
the length of the string that can be used for a hive partition.

Unless I am mistaken, the field that stores the partition string in the
metastore (PARTITIONS.PART_NAME) is a varchar(767).

That seems like a pretty reasonable limit to me, but just wanted to alert
you (all) about it.

Best,
Ariel
---------------------------------
Ariel Marcus, Consultant
www.openbi.com | ariel.marcus@openbi.com
150 N Michigan Avenue, Suite 2800, Chicago, IL 60601
Cell: 314-827-4356

--

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
recipient named above. It may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original
transmission and all copies from your system.