Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2018/01/31 01:30:25 UTC

Limited search and find a file after git repo split

One thing that doesn't work well anymore after the repo split is

a) quickly navigate to a file (hit key "T" in github) across all Sling code (e.g. if you know the api or have a stacktrace, but no idea what repo that is)
b) search

Unfortunately, github only indexes the main branch for b), so you can't search the "old" code base in [1] anymore. Granted, that would soon only only for historical purposes.

For the current code, you can approach b) by searching in the entire "apache" organization, but then you might also find a lot of noise from other projects.

I can't tell you how often I have been using a) or b) to navigate and read Sling code, it's a key tool for me.

Any ideas?

[1] https://github.com/apache/sling-old-svn-mirror
[2] https://github.com/search?q=org%3Aapache+InputStream&type=Code

Cheers,
Alex

Re: Limited search and find a file after git repo split

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Ah, great, that's useful!

Maybe add that link to the sling-old-svn-mirror README [1], apache/sling-aggregator [2] and the modules page [3].

Here is one more realistic query for me: search for the SlingMainServlet source code:

	https://sourcegraph.com/search?q=repo:%5Egithub%5C.com/apache/sling-*++file:SlingMainServlet.java

[1] https://github.com/apache/sling-old-svn-mirror
[2] https://github.com/apache/sling-aggregator
[3] https://github.com/apache/sling-aggregator/blob/master/docs/modules.md

Cheers,
Alex

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Thanks!

Posted by Daniel Klco <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Klco <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 01:30 +0000, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> One thing that doesn't work well anymore after the repo split is
>
> a) quickly navigate to a file (hit key "T" in github) across all
> Sling code (e.g. if you know the api or have a stacktrace, but no
> idea what repo that is)
> b) search
>
> Unfortunately, github only indexes the main branch for b), so you
> can't search the "old" code base in [1] anymore. Granted, that would
> soon only only for historical purposes.
>
> For the current code, you can approach b) by searching in the entire
> "apache" organization, but then you might also find a lot of noise
> from other projects.
>
> I can't tell you how often I have been using a) or b) to navigate and
> read Sling code, it's a key tool for me.
>
> Any ideas?

After a quick look at the github pages my only suggestion is using the

  https://github.com/search/advanced

and filling in all the sling repos in the repo field. The search would
then be something like this

  org:apache repo:org-apache-sling-api ResourceResolver

Unfortunately it does not seem to work :-( . If we find something that
works this way we can create a custom search link on sling.apache.org
and allow searching from there.

Thanks,

Robert