Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/18 18:39:22 UTC

Question about v1.0 release RC

I just saw blog post by gridgain:
  http://gridgain.blogspot.com/2015/02/apache-ignite-v10-is-born.html

which I do not see any VOTE thread about this. Please all committers
and PPMCs be comfortable how ASF does releases [1]

While project is in ASF incubator any publications are ,ore strict
than top level projects [2] so need to make sure to contact ASF press
team about it.
Would love to see announcement in ASF channel first before any vendor website.

- Henry

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

Fwd: Question about v1.0 release RC

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Brane,

We have been very actively working on this Release Candidate as a
community, and I really wanted to put the blog forward. I think everyone
benefits from the increased awareness about Apache Ignite project.

If you look at my blog (
http://gridgain.blogspot.com/2015/02/apache-ignite-v10-is-born.html), I
don't think I violated the Apache policy as I never said that we have
*released* Ignite 1.0. The very first paragraph of my blog states that this
is a *Release Candidate*, which by definition is not an official Apache
release.

Apache release policy actually encourages that Release Candidates are made
public if there is a plan to put it out for a vote, which is exactly what I
did.

Here is a snippet of the release policy documented here:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html
----
*... Any committer may create a release candidate, provided that it is
based on a releasable (non-vetoed) tag of our current subversion repository
corresponding to the target version number. In order to facilitate
communication, it is deemed nice to alert the community to your planned
release schedule before creating the release candidate, since some other
folks may be on the verge of committing an important change (or backing out
an error). A release candidate should only be made when there is an
intention to propose it for a vote on public release. There are no
"private" releases at Apache.*
----

Thanks,
D.

Re: Question about v1.0 release RC

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Henry,

I actually now think you got confused by the word "gridgain" in the URL. I
don't think it is an issue, as the blog is hosted by Blogger.com and is my
personal blog.

D.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:21AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 18.02.2015 19:45, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> > Dmitriy,
> >
> > the point isn't about the blogging on the topic but about saying "based on
> > Apache X release Y.Z" unless such thing as Y.Z exists. Now, as the RC is in
> > the vote it isn't an issue, I believe.
>
> Yes it is. It's a huge issue. That zip file is not a release until it's
> voted so by the IPMC. As of right now, even the PPMC vote isn't closed yet.

Sorry, I was under the impression that having a [VOTE] started is enough to
refer to the RC in question. Thanks Brane - it is great to have you keeping an
eye on things!

Cos

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18.02.2015 19:45, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> > Dmitriy,
> >
> > the point isn't about the blogging on the topic but about saying "based
> on
> > Apache X release Y.Z" unless such thing as Y.Z exists. Now, as the RC is
> in
> > the vote it isn't an issue, I believe.
>
> Yes it is. It's a huge issue. That zip file is not a release until it's
> voted so by the IPMC. As of right now, even the PPMC vote isn't closed yet.

I have been very careful to call it a "release candidate", which is by
definition not an official Apache release. Even the name of the zip has RC1
in it: ignite-fabric-1.0.0-RC1.zip

> Nobody should be announcing an Apache release other than through Apache
> channels.
>
> FWIW, WANdisco got (private) flak for a couple years (from Greg, Hyrum,
> myself, etc.) for doing just this sort of ... I won't repeat the
> adjective ... thing. They've more or less learned now ...
>
> By the way, that blog post doesn't even follow our trademark policy:
> there's no trademark attribution, and the use of the Ignite logo needs
> permission from the ASF VP of trademarks or from the IPMC chair. It's
> kind of sad to see a project member ignore our own brand protection
> policies.

According to the Apache trademark policy, no permission is needed as long
as the attribution is provided. I have added the attribution to my blog.

The ASF trademark policy is documented here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#attribution

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Yep indeed.

Need to filter my email for the JIRA updates, getting too noisy.

- Henry

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Dmitriy,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.