Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hugh Acland <hu...@googlemail.com> on 2007/08/30 16:11:47 UTC

Subversion and mysql : version control for database tables and content

Hello,

I am new to subversion. Is it possible to use subversion alongside a MySQL
DB so that there is version control for every update to the DB - create new
tables, edit rows etc. It would be very cool to be able to return a complete
DB to the point it was at, say, 10:34:54 this morning without having to rely
on hard-backups.

Any chance this is possible?

My thanks
Hugh

Re: Subversion and mysql : version control for database tables and content

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Hugh Acland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to subversion. Is it possible to use subversion alongside a
> MySQL DB so that there is version control for every update to the DB -
> create new tables, edit rows etc. It would be very cool to be able to
> return a complete DB to the point it was at, say, 10:34:54 this morning
> without having to rely on hard-backups.
>

> Any chance this is possible?

If your database is small you could 'mysqldump' it at every state you
might want to recover and commit to svn (import the first copy, check it
back out, then dump on top of the working copy and commit).  It wouldn't
catch every update and there would be a lot of overhead, but it might be
useful in some situations.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Subversion and mysql : version control for database tables and content

Posted by Brian Munroe <br...@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/07, Hugh Acland <hu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Any chance this is possible?

Hugh:

No, Subversion was not designed to do this and I highly doubt it will
ever allow for it.

The two modern RDMS that I am familiar with (Oracle and MS SQL) can be
configured to dump REDO / transaction logs on a periodic or threshold
basis, so you don't have to rely on cold backups, but they don't have
the recovery point granularity that you envision.

-- brian