Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2019/09/04 18:35:12 UTC

Unmerged simple pull requests and Yetus spam

Hi Hadoop Devs,

Just curious whether we can get some pull requests merged in. Yetus
will continue to spam open pull requests with walls of text, drowning
out any potential human conversation. This doesn't seem to be
particularly helpful in general, but it is especially bad if the pull
request is open for a long time, and isn't addressed.

Here's a trivial pull request that should be merged to fix a typo in a
javadoc, but was closed instead of being merged, because of the spam
and lack of human response:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/350

Here's another relatively simple change to support immutable Hadoop
configuration views (not entirely trivial, but not very difficult,
either), that was closed, because it was ignored and Yetus got too
spammy:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/473
(to address https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11223)

My questions are:

1. Why is there no active response to users that submit pull requests?
2. Does Yetus really need to drown human conversation threads on
GitHub with walls of automated text? (vs. using the GitHub checks API
or similar brief status message)
3. Can somebody take a look at these two pull requests and merge them
or explain what is needed to get them merge-ready?

Thanks,

Christopher

Re: Unmerged simple pull requests and Yetus spam

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I can understand that. However, it does not explain the one that did
have a JIRA ID.

If the Hadoop community does not wish to monitor GitHub PRs, it should
have INFRA disable them. However, I think it would be better if the
community monitored the PRs (or the notification list that the PRs
report to)... because that's a really low bar for contributing small
changes, and it's a great way to get more developers active and
engaged.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:19 AM Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 11:11 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > Just as a point of clarification, those automated checks are testing
>> > something new each time. Specifically how the PR works with the
>> > then-current version of the target branch. They also only do so once a
>> > week.
>>
>> Understood. However, even one of those massive messages is too spammy.
>> And for a PR open since January, that's 26 such messages. The issue
>> isn't that they aren't useful to check that it works against the
>> latest... I can see how that's useful. Rather, the issue is that it
>> drowns out humans by overwhelming the thread with information that is
>> not helpful to a contributor.
>

> yes, it's noisy. I tend to delete all but the last one from the PRs.

Unfortunately, that's only an option for committers.

> The main problem I have is that it means the github notifications window is full of yetus reports for old patches, which hide real reviews.

I did discover that you can block the yetus GitHub user, and that will
stop the notifications, but it won't hide their comments on the
issues. And, it won't help if the user changes (which has happened at
least once since January).

>> > As with most Open Source projects, and especially ASF projects, my
>> > experience in Hadoop is that the easiest way to see more things
>> > reviewed and merged that you care about is to review the work of
>> > others in order to help the overall reviewer bandwidth.
>>
>> This is a good suggestion. However, my (now stale) review occurred 2
>> days after it was submitted back in January, wherein I made a small
>> suggestion for improvement. Since I'm not a Hadoop committer, I don't
>> think there's much more I could have done. Since there was no response
>> from anybody within the Hadoop community itself (either concurring
>> with my suggestion, or otherwise), and since nobody responded to the
>> contributor, my review never mattered.

>> > Yetus itself can be run in a multitude of ways. The behavior you see
>> > is specific to how the Hadoop project runs it.
>>
>> Interesting. I would recommend it stop being run that specific way...
>> since it's unfriendly to contributors, drowns out human conversation,
>> and probably triggers a lot of spam on the notifications lists and any
>> JIRA issues mentioned, making it more likely to be ignored there as
>> well. It is a nice concept, but I don't think it works well on GitHub
>> comment threads. (it probably works best on JIRA's "Work Log", and (if
>> possible) using GitHub's status/checks API for PRs. If GitHub had a
>> "work log" like JIRA, I would recommend it publish to that channel
>> instead, but that doesn't currently exist.
>>

> kicking off when explicitly asked would be the best; or just give up on PRs > X months old. Yes, that includes many of my spare-time-but-relevant PRs...but I know they generally need rebase and merge conflict resolution after a few months

I like the idea of explicitly asking... or better yet, running the
tasks in Jenkins or another external CI service (standalone app?)
instead of as a GitHub bot. I would have thought Jenkins was
configured for Hadoop to do some CI checks on PRs already, but perhaps
not?

Re: Unmerged simple pull requests and Yetus spam

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.