Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Stephen A. Cochran Lists" <st...@cahir.net> on 2006/02/16 18:50:55 UTC

Best Practices: local mods to a open source project

I'm fairly new to subversion, so I want to get my head around this
before setting everythign up.

We have a number of apps based on open source projects, often with
local modifications. I want to use subversion to manage the local
changes, and also be easily updated with new releases from the public
projects.

The basic setup is simple enough:  /project/trunk as the location for
the public releases, and then /project/branch for the local
modifications.

My question comes in integrating new releases from the open source
projects. Assuming I have

	v1.0 in /project/trunk
	local mods in /project/branch

and I want to update the trunk to v1.01 that was just released,
what's the best way to go about this? Is svk the answer with it's
mirroring features?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Best Practices: local mods to a open source project

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/16/06, Stephen A. Cochran Lists <st...@cahir.net> wrote:
> I'm fairly new to subversion, so I want to get my head around this
> before setting everythign up.
>
> We have a number of apps based on open source projects, often with
> local modifications. I want to use subversion to manage the local
> changes, and also be easily updated with new releases from the public
> projects.
>
> The basic setup is simple enough:  /project/trunk as the location for
> the public releases, and then /project/branch for the local
> modifications.
>
> My question comes in integrating new releases from the open source
> projects. Assuming I have
>
>         v1.0 in /project/trunk
>         local mods in /project/branch
>
> and I want to update the trunk to v1.01 that was just released,
> what's the best way to go about this? Is svk the answer with it's
> mirroring features?

The Book has the answer.  Vendor Branches.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s05.html describes exactly your
situation.