Posted to builds@apache.org by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> on 2020/12/22 09:26:36 UTC

Volunteer(s) for JDK maintainer(s) of our CI systems

Hi All,

Infra would like to hand off the adding/deleting of various JDKs within
our CI systems. This is mainly for Jenkins and Buildbot.

We provide for our projects many different versions of Java provided by
many different vendors. Those include IBM, Oracle, OpenJDK and
AdoptOpenJDK;
and are installed on all our nodes/agents/runners on both Ubuntu and
Windows.

We obtain and repackage all JDKs as deb packages or zips into our Bintray
Org
ready for being pulled in via our Puppet configurations. (We repackage so
that we
can install into custom paths on the OS.)

We also have a couple of scripts for making the download,repackage and
upload to
Bintray almost 100% automated. The final steps are to then create a PR
against
our Github repository for approval and merging. Once merged, our
Documentation
must also be updated with the newer versions or deletion of old versions.

Credentials for the Bintray API will be provided so the scripts can work.
No access is
needed to the nodes themselves. Access to Infra SVN where our scripts live
will also
be granted. Basically, you will be added to our infrastructure ldap group
if you are not
already there. Write access to INFRA cwiki where pages need updating will
also be
taken care of.

Ideally, one or two people would be able to take on this role with the
intention of doing
it for an extended period of time. Im looking at least a year I guess, at
which time the
volunteers could either keep going with it or pass it on. Life happens; and
so I wont
hold anyone to a specific time, just nice to know it is being taken care of.

The same scripts are also made for updating Apache Ant and Apache Maven as
newer
versions come out, so optionally the volunteer(s) could also take care of
those.

If you are interested, *please email me directly only*, let's not flood
these mailing lists
with replies, thank you. I'll pick one or two volunteers after a week or so.

Thanks for reading this far, that could mean you are interested right!

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator

Re: Volunteer(s) for JDK maintainer(s) of our CI systems

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

I now have my 2 volunteers.

--