Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> on 2004/07/13 13:07:17 UTC

CVS and Build: CVS "related" question

I am preparing to do some minor work on the documentation.  Today this,
tomorrow the whorls.

I have WinCVS, Ant and Eclipse humming along.  Tra la la!  I am learning
the standard CVS gig.  I have a "CVS related" question.

I have got WinCVS to download the struts CVS repository.  Now on to the build.

FIRST BOTTOM WATER QUESTION

Do I build the struts code in the WinCVS or transfer it elsewhere and build
it there?  I assume the latter.  But, thought I had better check that
out.  If you are inclined to answer this question, you might want to
include the answer to the obvious corollary that will be coming regarding
changing the CVS from changes made in the build.  Or do you make changes in
the CVS and rebuilt prior to testing?

Thanks.

Michael

RE: CVS and Build: CVS "related" question

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Michael McGrady wrote:

> Martin Cooper:
> At 07:56 AM 7/13/2004, you wrote:
>> If you don't like it where it is, of course, you can always blow away what
>> you have (or not) and check out another tree.
>

> I checked into another tree.  I am looking for a "delete" or "blow away"
> command in WinCVS.  Where the hay is that?  Thanks, Martin.

You can use 'Release' for that. See:

https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.17/cvs_16.html#SEC150

In WinCVS, this is 'Trace'->'Release selection...'. Alternatively, you can
just delete the directory you checked out to.

--
Martin Cooper

RE: CVS and Build: CVS "related" question

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Martin Cooper:

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

You don't need to copy / move the source tree anywhere - you can build it
right where it is.

>From what you describe, I assume that you've created your source tree inside
your WinCVS installation directory. While that's not really recommended, it
doesn't matter all that much. It's more a matter of taste as far as keeping
your programs separate from your data.

If you don't like it where it is, of course, you can always blow away what
you have (or not) and check out another tree. Just FYI, I have my Struts
code in c:/src/apache/jakarta-struts (the 'jakarta' part being there just
because that's still where the repo is ;).

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
> I am preparing to do some minor work on the documentation.  Today this,
> tomorrow the whorls.

Great!!  We always appreciate help.

> I have WinCVS, Ant and Eclipse humming along.  Tra la la!  I am learning
> the standard CVS gig.  I have a "CVS related" question.
>
> I have got WinCVS to download the struts CVS repository.  Now on to the
build.

> FIRST BOTTOM WATER QUESTION
>
> Do I build the struts code in the WinCVS or transfer it elsewhere and
build
> it there?  I assume the latter.

WinCVS is only a tool that let's you connect to a remote CVS server.
When "checkout" a module (say....."jakarta-struts"), WinCVS will
authenticate
over SSH and download a copy of those files under that folder.

You can tell WinCVS what editor to open files with.  I use TextPad.  In
fact,
I like it so much, I fought back the "cheap skate" urges and paid for a
license;)

 (I could go on for days on the benefits of having a good text editor)

You can build Struts by command line, with Textpad, an IDE, or any one of a
hundred different methods.

First thing you will need to do is copy the build.properties.sample to a new
file called build.properties.  Then change the values in that file to point
to your local copies of the jars listed there.  Once you do that, you can
(assuming you have Ant installed....do you need a tutorial on that?) execute
this in a command prompt:

 ant dist

And that will build a distribution of the entire project.

If you feel frisky and want to run the test suite, just run one (or all) of
the test targets

 and test.tomcat.junit
 ant test.tomcat.33
 ant test.tomcat.40
 ant test.tomcat.41

You should look through the 3 build files and familiarize yourself with the
available targets and their dependencies.

> But, thought I had better check that
> out.  If you are inclined to answer this question, you might want to
> include the answer to the obvious corollary that will be coming regarding
> changing the CVS from changes made in the build.  Or do you make changes
in
> the CVS and rebuilt prior to testing?

By running any of the test targets, the build will automatically rebuild the
source for you (it won't jar it, but it will compile it) so you don't have
to worry about "building" before "testing".

> Thanks.
>
> Michael

I appreciate your effort, and know how frustrating it can seem, but don't
give up, your commitment will pay off eventually.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.