Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Filip Defoort <fi...@cirquedigital.com> on 2003/10/22 23:53:30 UTC

[merlin] DefaultEmbeddedKernel

Hi,

Does anybody have a usage example of the DefaultEmbeddedKernel ? -- I don't
know what args I need to pass in exactly so it can find the repository with
the jars...

Thanks,
- filip

Re: [merlin] DefaultEmbeddedKernel

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Filip Defoort wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a usage example of the DefaultEmbeddedKernel ? -- I
> don't
> know what args I need to pass in exactly so it can find the repository
> with
> the jars...

The map argument is supplied directly to an instance of
DefaultLoader.  The DefaultLoader source is located in
the kernel/impl package.

Map keys and values are as follows:

 key: merlin.repository.dir
 value: java.io.File

   The root directory for the local application repository.
   This directory will be used during retrival of resources
   such as jar files referenced by block include directives
   and classloader resource references.  If the supplied
   value is null, the implemention shall default to
   MERLIN_HOME/repository.  Please note that the default
   behaviour is not implemented yet.

 key: merlin.library.dir
 value: java.io.File

   The directory used as the base anchor for resolution of
   relative path references for jar extension library directory
   statements in classloader directives.  If not supplied the
   value defaults to the current working directory.

 key: merlin.base.dir
 value: java.io.File

   The working base directory.  Working and temporary
   directories are created relative to this root directory.
   Include this entry if you want you deployment scenario to
   bound to a particular working directory reference
   independently of the actual current directory.

 key: merlin.kernel.url
 value: java.net.URL

   URL to a kernel configuration file. If not declared the
   system will attempt to use MERLIN_HOME/config/kernel.xml
   and if not available will load a fallback kernel including
   in the kernel impl jar file. This is equivalent to the
   commandline -kernel parameter.

 key: merlin.targets.url
 value: java.net.URL

   URL to an optional configuration targets override file.
   This is equivalent to the commandline -config parameter.

 key: merlin.policy.info
 value: java.lang.Boolean

   Optional value - if supplied and TRUE enabled environment
   listing.  This is equivalent to the commandline -info
   switch.

 key: merlin.debug.info
 value: java.lang.Boolean

   Optional value - if supplied and TRUE enabled full debug
   legal logging.  This is equivalent to the commandline -debug
   switch (and is handy when debugging an aplication scenario).

Please not that the resolution of MERLIN_HOME is pending. Also,
I have specifically not included URLs to blocks.  Instead blocks
are added to the kernel programatically (the abstract unit
test includes an example of this).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell