Posted to dev@seatunnel.apache.org by Jiajie Zhong <zh...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/16 03:22:10 UTC

[PROPOAL] Strict PR title when merging it

Hey guys,

I found out some of our commit title is meaningless, which you
can see in https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel-website/commits/main <https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel-website/commits/main>
and https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commits/dev <https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commits/dev>.

We have more in the website repo. I think when contributors submit PR should
make the title more meaningful. And when committer merging PR, should change
the title if not meaningful.

Some rules I think we should avoid it:

* A single word in the PR:
  * https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commit/64695611545fc459f9d0aa802dbb74ac29351a9d <https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commit/64695611545fc459f9d0aa802dbb74ac29351a9d>
  * https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel-website/commit/d10241c7d038e9a3680af9694a41938bb6dfa484 <https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel-website/commit/d10241c7d038e9a3680af9694a41938bb6dfa484>
* Only fix in specific issue, like `fix #123`: https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commit/3e7d04bcbcf0224d1530a278e92bea8375d3151c <https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commit/3e7d04bcbcf0224d1530a278e92bea8375d3151c>

We also have some best practices in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commit/9268133a810f81cf168a77eb450fde74f05ad4c9 <https://github.com/apache/incubator-seatunnel/commit/9268133a810f81cf168a77eb450fde74f05ad4c9>
which includes the module an overview of this change

Cheers,
— Jiajie Zhong

Re: [PROPOAL] Strict PR title when merging it

Posted by Jiajie Zhong <zh...@gmail.com>.
Yeah
I agree with Wenun, we committers should also pay attention when we merging
PR. Changing git log makes out log short and meaningful, and also look good
when checking log

--
Best Wish
— Jiajie

Re: [PROPOAL] Strict PR title when merging it

Posted by Wenjun Ruan <be...@gmail.com>.

Re:Re:[PROPOAL] Strict PR title when merging it

Posted by leo65535 <le...@163.com>.

Hi jiajie, kirs

We can already add the following contribution check to checklist
```
Name the pull request in the form "[Feature] [component] Title of the pull request", where *Feature* can be replaced by `Hotfix`, `Bug`, etc.

```

How about using git hook[1] ?

[1] https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks

Best wishes!