Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/24 22:22:16 UTC

Apache Ignite Hackathon: Open Source contribution is simple

Hi Ignite Users, Developers, and Enthusiasts,

It's natural to assume that a newcomer has little to offer the Apache
Ignite. However, you can be surprised at how much each newcomer can help,
even now.

I would propose to run a hackathon on the next Apache Ignite meetup. In
parallel with talks, an attendee can pick up a simple ticket and run full
patch submission process during meetup and make open source contribution.
Ignite experts will be there and will be able to help everyone interested.

The first place to run - Ignite meetup in Saint Petersburg, Russia, because
I know that several committers live there.

- If you're a user or a contributor, would you like to join such activity?
- If you're a committer, will you be able to come and help with review and
merge?
- Would you propose a simple ticket(s) which can be done in one hour or
even several minutes?

Any feedback is very welcome.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Re: Apache Ignite Hackathon: Open Source contribution is simple

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Denis, Konstantin, Thank you for your feedback.

After a private discussion with Ksenia, we've created a new idea of how to
name the event: 'Apache Ignite Day, Workshop: Open Source contribution is
simple'.
It can be slightly better because we don't want competition between
members, just fun and a few practical steps in the world of open source and
Apache.

I will start some additional communication in Russian.

I would strongly appreciate any additional ideas and replies from
committers, which potentially can participate locally or remotely.

With best regards,
Dmitriy Pavlov

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
It is a great idea, Dmitriy. Doing meetups is a great way to bring
more contributors and developers on board. Besides, it helps the
community's biding.

I'd suggest to plan for a few solid hours of hackathon only: 3-5 hours
would be a good idea, but it might need to be done on a weekend
(depends on the weather, of course :). Mixing it with the talks might
or might not work well - I guess it is a judgement call, and depends
on the audience. I would also recommend to start some communication in
Russian language among the local folks and post the links here as
well. I will help to spread the word among people I know, as well. And
am looking forward to be there for the event!

Thanks for starting this thread, by the way!
--
  With regards,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any entity the author
might be affiliated with at the time of writing.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.