Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2005/03/10 11:39:32 UTC

Management of Antlibs

Trying to address Conor's points (I hope I have them right, otherwise
it is my fault) ...

I think we basically agree on the points 4.1 (each lib is released
independently), 4.2 (each lib must state its dependencies), 4.4 (each
lib follows a common standard - definition TBD), 4.4 (each lib gets a
place on the website of its own) and 4.7 (use Apache voting rules).

Where we seem to disagree is how fine grained the management of ant
libraries should be.

The proposal suggests that each library is a small subproject of its
own, namely it has an independent set of committers - points 4.3, 4.5
and 4.8, basically.

Conor suggests that the antlibs are treated as a single project with a
single set of committers.

As long as every committer needs an account on the svn server, the
difference is pretty virtual.

The reason I went for the finer grained access really is that once we
can have committers without shell accounts we may want to hand out
commit access to very specific ant libs more freely.  I can understand
if the whole system looks a bit burocratic and don't have a big
problem with changing the proposal at that point.

What is your preference?

Stefan