Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org> on 2006/04/16 22:29:31 UTC

Jini Head's Up

http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0604&L=jini-
users&F=&S=&P=4029

-Brian

Re: Jini Head's Up

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 4/16/06, Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd be happy to help mentor...

To be a mentor of a project, you must be an Apache Member:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: Jini Head's Up

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
I'd be happy to help mentor...

TTFN,

Bill Dudney
MyFaces - http://myfaces.apache.org
Cayenne - http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cayenne.html

Re: Jini Head's Up

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 17 April 2006 06:38, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Yes.  Sun is quite serious about proposing JINI to go through Incubation.

FWIW, This has been an on-going process for well over a year, when the switch
to Apache license v2 was performed.

I think we (Apache) can expect the discussion in the Jini community to take a
while (looking at how long the license switch took in discussions), as there
are many details we (Jini community) need to sort out prior to make a formal
approach to the ASF. The "Jini Development Process" (JDP - which is the
standards process) is one such issue to be sorted out, as well as the many
Jini projects at jini.net.

Jini arriving at Apache is IMHO great; The Jini team at Sun have tried many
ways to make more people actively involved in the core development, and a few
have dived in and well respected contributors, both in core as well as
peripheral technologies. We can expect a handful of non-Sun people on the
initial committer list, and generally a healthy community from the start.

On behalf of the Jini Community; We are looking forward to work with the ASF
and will post a proposal for the Incubator in due time.

Thanks
Niclas Hedhman

Re: Jini Head's Up

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2006, at 12:38 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

>> http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0604&L=jini-users&F=&S=&P=4029
>>

>> Yes.  Sun is quite serious about proposing JINI to go through
>> Incubation.
>> We should hear from them very soon, but in the meantime, if there are
>> some
>> folks who would like to help Mentor the project, please let the PMC
>> know.
>
> I would be glad to do so.

Count me in as well.

Alex

Re: Jini Head's Up

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
On Apr 17, 2006, at 12:38 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0604&L=jini-
> users&F=&S=&P=4029
>
> Yes.  Sun is quite serious about proposing JINI to go through
> Incubation.
> We should hear from them very soon, but in the meantime, if there
> are some
> folks who would like to help Mentor the project, please let the PMC
> know.

I would be glad to do so.

--
Gianugo Rabellino