Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org> on 2014/07/30 14:39:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

This thread is for discussion of the first release candidate for
Apache jclouds 1.8.0. Please use this thread for discussion of issues
uncovered in the RC, questions you may have about the RC, etc. Thank
you.

Regards

ap

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> Is there anything I can do to help validate the release?  Obviously
> I can run the live tests for familiar providers such as HP and GCE,
> etc.

Live tests are best - if you could run those, that would be great.

Otherwise, if you could check that all the JIRA issues you expect to
be in 1.8.0 are in the correct state in JIRA, that would be useful,
too...but it's more of a housekeeping issue, I'd say. Far less
important than tests.

Thanks!

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> @Andrew could you please remove it as it is just an error?

Sure! Thanks for clarifying:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=jclouds-labs.git;a=commit;h=a81d8aeb2a5ce3b3a552f311de6b8c5a5c79fba8

Depending on what happens with RC1, we'll include this in 1.8.0, or
will merge to 1.8.x afterwards.

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Sorry about that guys, not sure how that happened.

@Andrew could you please remove it as it is just an error?

Thanks,
Andrea

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Is there anything I can do to help validate the release?  Obviously I can run the live tests for familiar providers such as HP and GCE, etc. against the RC binaries, but I’m wondering if there is anything else that would be helpful since I have some time today.

-Chris

--
Chris Custine

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
We could close the vote now but I'd rather wait until tomorrow morning
to see if there's any further discussion around the issues uncovered
today, or if anyone else is able to review (we only have 3 votes so
far).

I'm in CET so won't be able to follow the discussion today, but will
review tomorrow morning here.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Aug 4, 2014, at 7:04 PM, Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>> wrote:

Further, if we are going to change the
default, can we align with other language bindings like fog?

+1

fog deprecated default region support over 6 months ago. They’re going to be removing it completely now. [1]

Everett

[1] https://github.com/fog/fog/issues/3091

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 03:38:56PM -0600, Chris Custine wrote:
> > Ideally jclouds should follow the best practice of whatever HP
> > recommends and what other language bindings implement. We should not
> > gratuitously change the defaults; if I understand it correctly, we will
> > impose three transitions to users of the default region:
> >
> > 1.7.3 swift = default region region-a.geo-1
> > 1.8.0 swift = default region region-b.geo-1
> > 1.8.1 swift = default region changes back to region-a.geo-1?
> > openstack-swift = error without default region
> >
> > How can we minimize this pain?
>
> In a nutshell, the previous behavior of selecting the first region was more of an accident due to the way HP lists its object storage endpoint versions.  The default endpoint selection in the keystone provider and other overrides is to pick the last matching endpoint where service type and version match[1][2][3]. The HP parent SwiftApiMetdata version is “1.0", and HP has region-a as “1.0” but region-b as “1” in keystone (they are aware of this but I have been told it is unlikely to be changed), so as a consequence, this logic always returned region-a which happens to be first.  It also meant that you could never talk to region-b because it would never match the version. My fixes for the HP provider are currently ignoring api version when it matches so that you can actually talk to region-b if you want to.  As a side effect, the intended behavior works and if you don’t specify region it returns the last one just like all other openstack providers.
>
> So having said all of that, I am fine with returning the old (broken) behavior if that is the community consensus, but I wanted to present the facts and make sure that this fix wasn’t seen as gratuitously changing defaults or otherwise having a disregard for impact on users.
>
> If this is a lone blocker, I also take ownership and volunteer to cut the next RC if it is necessary. :-)

While I appreciate the technical background on this issue, I am more
worried about the user experience.  Can you address my question about
how many times we plan to change the default region for users?  Most
hpcloud-objectstorage users likely use the default and will find
multiple changes confusing.  Further, if we are going to change the

http://gaul.org/

RE: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

Posted by Zack Shoylev <za...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
Throwing an error seems to make the most sense for now.
Having jclouds pick what amounts to a random region seems worse than failing forward and throwing an error.
Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> If this is a lone blocker, I also take ownership and volunteer to
> cut the next RC if it is necessary. :-)

I personally don't see this as a blocker right now, but of course
thanks for stepping up!

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
> Ideally jclouds should follow the best practice of whatever HP
> recommends and what other language bindings implement. We should not
> gratuitously change the defaults; if I understand it correctly, we will
> impose three transitions to users of the default region:
>
> 1.7.3 swift = default region region-a.geo-1
> 1.8.0 swift = default region region-b.geo-1
> 1.8.1 swift = default region changes back to region-a.geo-1?
> openstack-swift = error without default region
>
> How can we minimize this pain?

In a nutshell, the previous behavior of selecting the first region was more of an accident due to the way HP lists its object storage endpoint versions.  The default endpoint selection in the keystone provider and other overrides is to pick the last matching endpoint where service type and version match[1][2][3]. The HP parent SwiftApiMetdata version is “1.0", and HP has region-a as “1.0” but region-b as “1” in keystone (they are aware of this but I have been told it is unlikely to be changed), so as a consequence, this logic always returned region-a which happens to be first.  It also meant that you could never talk to region-b because it would never match the version. My fixes for the HP provider are currently ignoring api version when it matches so that you can actually talk to region-b if you want to.  As a side effect, the intended behavior works and if you don’t specify region it returns the last one just like all other openstack providers.

So having said all of that, I am fine with returning the old (broken) behavior if that is the community consensus, but I wanted to present the facts and make sure that this fix wasn’t seen as gratuitously changing defaults or otherwise having a disregard for impact on users.

If this is a lone blocker, I also take ownership and volunteer to cut the next RC if it is necessary. :-)

Thanks,
Chris

[1] http://git.io/HU-xZA
[2] http://git.io/lUfDiw
[3] http://git.io/QoWKuw

--
Chris Custine

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 10:29:43PM +0200, Andrew Phillips wrote:
> >I will unhook it from 1.8.x branch after release; is there any way to
> >remove this single artifact from the release?
>
> Well, we can delete it from the staging repo, but that it'll be a
> little out of sync with the root POM [1] *and* the src and dist
> bundles, so I'm not sure if that's advisable.
>
> Or we could add a note to the release notes describing the
> limitation and recommending to use this provider only with caution,
> or not at all.

I do not see the accidental inclusion of a jar as a reason another
release candidate.  I will update the release notes to reflect that we
do not recommend its use.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> I will unhook it from 1.8.x branch after release; is there any way to
> remove this single artifact from the release?

Well, we can delete it from the staging repo, but that it'll be a
little out of sync with the root POM [1] *and* the src and dist
bundles, so I'm not sure if that's advisable.

Or we could add a note to the release notes describing the limitation
and recommending to use this provider only with caution, or not at all.

Thoughts?

ap

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs-google/blob/master/pom.xml#L59

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 09:22:46AM +0200, Andrew Phillips wrote:
> Andrew Gaul wrote:
> >We did not unhook google-cloud-storage from the release; not a release
> >blocker but this could confuse users.
>
> Just to clarify: you mean we should probably *not* have released this?

The current google-cloud-storage implementation can only operate on
buckets, not objects.  We should not have released it as I recommended
earlier:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jclouds-dev/201407.mbox/%3C20140728075325.GC26295@sherlock%3E

I will unhook it from 1.8.x branch after release; is there any way to
remove this single artifact from the release?

> >Also we have not changed master from 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT to 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Thanks for the reminder. I have that commit waiting locally and am
> planning to push it when the release goes out, although since we're
> making a new branch there's actually not really a need for that.
>
> Everyone OK for 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT for master?

2.0.0-SNAPSHOT is OK.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 1.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shrinand Javadekar <sh...@maginatics.com>.
I am in the process of verifying the release. I ran into some issues
with the deprecated methods and have fixed them (at least the code
compiles). Will run tests against well known blobstores and report the
results.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
I have run the following live tests over the weekend and some have failures explained below:

hpcloud-objectstorage - ok
hpcloud-blockstorage - ok
google-cloud-storage - ok

hpcloud-compute - fails a single negative templatebuilder test due to a new image on the provider that suddenly matches
google-compute-engine - Several live test failures due to test configurations, provider itself passes with https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs-google/pull/37

So the only failures I can see are actually caused by test code problems or the recurring issue of provider images changing and borking live tests. I assume that is acceptable for a release given the dynamic nature of the live tests?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Custine