Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/26 17:00:52 UTC

Maven Dependencies Pop Quiz

Hello everyone!

If I can ask you for 15 minutes of your time, I've put of a 14 question pop
quiz on dependency resolution. I'm hopeful that this quiz will let us
realize a few things about the dependency resolution mechanism and its
rules, perhaps address concerns in the future and make Maven better as a
result.

The quiz can be found at https://bit.ly/maven-dependencies-popquiz and is
totally anonymous (no email address collected). Unless you feel like
sharing your name ;-)

Some preliminary numbers to this date:

 - 3 people have 13 correct answers
 - 3 people have 12correct answers
 - 10 people have 11 correct answers

The current median is 8. Some quick feedback left:

 - pretty tricky, even for an almost 20 year maven dude. good job!
 - I've never seen documentation on this
 - Good food for thought. I guess I generally hope Maven does what I expect
and when it doesn't, I start specifying more exactly what I want.

Please feel free to share it with your colleagues and friends. More entries
mean more data and better results. Thank you!

Cheers,
Andres

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast
http://andresalmiray.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aalmiray
those who don't.

Re: Maven Dependencies Pop Quiz

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com>.
Great quiz!

I got 12/14 because I was a bit lazy in the beginning.
Forgot my twitter handle, please add @bmarwell - thanks!

If you had some experience with wrong or mixed dependency versions, it
is pretty straightforward.
But if you never had these problems, it is very hard to solve!

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Jim N <no...@gmail.com>.
hmm, there's a moderately hard pop quiz for maven on linkedin tests.  it
starts out asking a few questions about how to build archetypes more or
less blindfolded.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Harper <jo...@gmail.com>.
I got my score directly after the quizz.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jieryn <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
BTW: I am quite sure, it depends also on the Maven version. The version
handling of something like 25.1-android has changed over time.