Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rishi Renjith <ri...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/11 16:11:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: "SSL input filter read failed" error for apache with mod_nss

Hello, The issue with the dummy DB was that some permissions to some files
in it were not given. I did a chmod 777 to all files and now the dummy DB
seems to be working fine.

I configured the NSS database with the crypto card(sun sca6000) as follows.
mkdir /opt/SMC/Apache2/nsscertdb

cd /opt/SMC/Apache2/nsscertdb

-certutil -N -d /opt/SMC/Apache2/nsscertdb

-modutil -dbdir . -nocertdb -force -add "Sun Crypto Accelerator" -libfile
/usr/lib/libpkcs11.so -mechanisms RSA:DSA:RC4:DES
 modutil -list -dbdir /opt/SMC/Apache2/nssdb
Using database directory /opt/SMC/Apache2/nssdb...

Listing of PKCS #11 Modules
  1. NSS Internal PKCS #11 Module
         slots: 2 slots attached
        status: loaded

         slot: NSS Internal Cryptographic Services
        token: NSS Generic Crypto Services

         slot: NSS User Private Key and Certificate Services
        token: NSS Certificate DB

  2. Sun Crypto Accelerator
        library name: /usr/lib/libpkcs11.so
         slots: 2 slots attached
        status: loaded

         slot: Sun Metaslot
        token: Sun Metaslot

         slot: Sun Crypto Softtoken
        token: Sun Software PKCS#11 softtoken

certutil -R  -s "C=IN, O=NSN, OU=SPA2, CN=sandeeprc.eu.org" -h "Sun
Metaslot" -o ismc.csr -d . -a  -n ismc_cert

(Got the CSR signed from CA Cert)
certutil -A  -d . -n "ismc_cert" -a -t "CT,," -i cert2.csr -h "Sun Metaslot"

certutil -A  -d . -n "CACERT CA" -a -t "CTu,CTu,CTu" -i ca.txt -h "Sun
Metaslot"

certutil -V -u V -d . -n "ismc_cert" -h "Sun Metaslot"

The certificate is verified corrrectly. In nss.conf, i gave the following
directives to use this database

Now in NSS.conf I added the following lines to use the hardware accelarator
NSSNickname "Sun Metaslot:ismc_cert"
NSSCertificateDatabase /opt/SMC/Apache2/nssdb

Now everything is working fine, the requests are getting processed
correctly. But the issue is that the rsaprivate value is not getting
incremented in the kstat -n mca0 output. Which means that it is not using
the hardware accelerator card.

I have also given cryptoadm enable metaslot token=<tokenname> so as to use
the hardware accelerator.

Any suggestions?

(When we try to use mod_ssl using the pkcs patch, it s correctly
incrementing the rsaprivate values.)