Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kevin Hanser <Ke...@mica.net> on 2004/02/20 18:11:13 UTC

Bayes Question

Lately I've noticed that there seems to be more spam than usual creeping
through our SpamAssassin installation.  I looked @ the message headers,
and I've noticed that on most of the ones that are getting through, I'm
seeing this:

BAYES_00 -4.90

What does that mean?  Do I have an improperly trained Bayes Database
somehow?  Is there a way that I can tell SA to reset this one Bayes
rule?

Thx!

Re: Bayes Question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 12:11 PM 2/20/2004, Kevin Hanser wrote:
>Lately I've noticed that there seems to be more spam than usual creeping
>through our SpamAssassin installation.  I looked @ the message headers,
>and I've noticed that on most of the ones that are getting through, I'm
>seeing this:
>
>BAYES_00 -4.90
>
>What does that mean?  Do I have an improperly trained Bayes Database
>somehow?

Generally, yes... You definitely should not be hitting BAYES_00 on spam.
Looking at my most recent 200 spams, the lowest any of them scored is BAYES_44.

>Is there a way that I can tell SA to reset this one Bayes rule?

No.. Not in any practical way at least. Bayes isn't directly rule based...

Bayes generates a spam-probability percentage from 0 to 99. BAYES_00 means
that the bayes calculation resulted in less than 1% probability of
spam.  The way to reset the bayes calculation is to reset the entire bayes
database.

You could change the score of BAYES_00, but that's covering up the effects,
and not solving the problem.. you've got a poorly trained bayes database.