Posted to dev@community.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2018/02/08 18:26:10 UTC

Issues with hosting unpublished SNAPSHOT then using it in a release candidate

Hi Folks,
Over at Any23 [0], we have, for some time, been depending upon an old
SNAPSHOT of commons-csv which we host in SVN [1] and utilize in our POM [2].
During a recent review process for our 2.2 release candidate, it was
pointed out that there may be an issue with this practice.
Can someone please point me towards documentation on this practice such
that we can determine if we need to fix the issue or if we can release the
candidate then fix for the next release?
Thank you kindly,
Lewis

[0] http://any23.apache.org
[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/any23/repo-ext/
[2] https://github.com/apache/any23/blob/master/pom.xml#L603-L606

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: Issues with hosting unpublished SNAPSHOT then using it in a release candidate

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
+1 to what Luciano says below.

-Bertrand

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
SNAPSHOTS can be modified (overridden by a new version of the snapshot or
deleted) and will break the following release policy rule:

'Every ASF release MUST contain one or more source packages, which MUST be
sufficient for a user to build and test the release provided they have
access to the appropriate platform and tools.'

If you are maintaining your own SNAPSHOT of a given project (e.g.
commons-csv) and assuming they are not going to perform a release, you
might be better performing a release yourself (Any23) which is not perfect
but I have seen other projects doing it (e.g.
https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.spark-project.hive%22
)

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#source-packages

http://twitter.com/lresende1975
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Issues with hosting unpublished SNAPSHOT then using it in a release candidate

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Folks,
Thank you to everyone that replied here. Some excellent guidance which I appreciate.
In resolution, we made the upgrade in Any23 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ANY23-264
I think we will most likely drop the release candidate, spin a new one and get back to VOTE'ing.
Thank you
Lewis

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,