Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrik Rak <pa...@mindwarestudios.com> on 2005/11/29 16:20:01 UTC

New revision keyword for easier branch management

Hello,

I have a little feature request which would help us quite a lot to manage our
branches.

To put it simply - it would be great if there was a new revision keyword called
BRANCH or COPY or whatever which would mean the revision when given file/dir
was copied, i.e., the same revision --stop-on-copy of svn log would stop at.

So instead of having to use the

svn log --verbose --stop-on-copy /path/to/my/branch

and get the number X for use in command like

svn merge --revision X:Y /path/to/my/branch

I could conveniently use

svn merge --revision COPY:HEAD /path/to/my/branch

or

svn diff --revision COPY:HEAD /path/to/my/branch

directly without the need to mess with the errorprone numbers.

We do all of our development in branches (usually one branch per feature
implemented) and we always merge entire branches, in order to keep the review
processes under control. This results in a lot of branches and the use of the
numbers soon gets tedious. In case (unless?) this feature is implemented, we
will rather stick with creating the base tags for each of our branches instead
of using the numbers.

Thanks for considering this.

Patrik Rak

Re: New revision keyword for easier branch management

Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr>.
Hi,

> So, what do I do now to make it happen?

Either you develop it or pay someone who will develop it for you, or you
file a feature request and wait for it to be implemented:
	http://subversion.tigris.org/project_issues.html

Dimitri

Re: New revision keyword for easier branch management

Posted by Patrik Rak <pa...@mindwarestudios.com>.
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, David Ripton wrote:

> On 2005.11.29 17:20:01 +0100, Patrik Rak wrote:
>> I have a little feature request which would help us quite a lot to manage
>> our branches.
>>
>> To put it simply - it would be great if there was a new revision keyword
>> called BRANCH or COPY or whatever which would mean the revision when given
>> file/dir was copied, i.e., the same revision --stop-on-copy of svn log
>> would stop at.
>>
>> So instead of having to use the
>>
>> svn log --verbose --stop-on-copy /path/to/my/branch
>>
>> and get the number X for use in command like
>>
>> svn merge --revision X:Y /path/to/my/branch
>>
>> I could conveniently use
>>
>> svn merge --revision COPY:HEAD /path/to/my/branch
>>
>> or
>>
>> svn diff --revision COPY:HEAD /path/to/my/branch
>>
>> directly without the need to mess with the errorprone numbers.
>
> Good idea.
>
> I think it should still work if the path was initially created with "svn
> add" or "svn import" rather than with a copy.  So I suggest something
> like FIRST for the new revision keyword.

Whatever is easiest to implement and gives me the feature I long for.

So, what do I do now to make it happen?

Patrik

Re: New revision keyword for easier branch management

Posted by David Ripton <dr...@ripton.net>.

--
David Ripton    dripton@ripton.net