Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2003/01/04 02:00:28 UTC

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

I've subscribed to the incubator list.  I was just going to ask you about
progress.

My concern is CVS.

Do we start clean, or do we transfer our CVS repository from SourceForge to
Jakarta?

SourceForge prepares a nightly .tar of the repository.

Currently, we are progressing on three fronts.  The CVS HEAD branch has 2.3,
which really should shift over to a beta release soon.

I've got a huge number of changes in the hship-2-3 branch, and Mind Bridge
has his set of changes in his branch.  There have been commits to the HEAD
since I made my branch; it won't be difficult to synchronize my changes back
into the SF CVS repository, but if we shift repositories it'll be a
nightmare.

Ideally, we would freeze development on Tapestry long enough to get a clean
repository download from SF, then install it on Jakarta and maintain history
and integrity.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 07:32  AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ok, then why do we keep Tomcat? Why HTTPD itself? They have a viable
> community and thus little need for the ASF.

That's easy:

  1) They are owned by the ASF
  2) ASF members continue to work on them.

[...]

> So let's say JBoss wanted to join ASF? You'd say no because it's too
> big?

haha! Isn't that exactly what happened? And look at where JBoss is now!

-aaron

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 11:41:16AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, January 5, 2003 4:32 PM +0100 Nicola Ken Barozzi
> <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> > You sound like they want to come in to suck our blood. Totally
> > defensive. Can't *we* leverage *their* community/code/vision? Are
> > we so perfect that they can only suck our blood?
>
> No.  But, I feel that we do not have the resources to accept every
> project that comes our way.  Therefore, I think there has to be a
> compelling reason to accept a particular project into the ASF.  As I
> said, I have yet to see one made for Tapestry.

The Jakarta PMC said there was a compelling reason. They "saw one" an made a
decision. That's enough, so deal with it :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> If Tomcat were proposed as a project, yes, it'd be too large.
>
>> So let's say JBoss wanted to join ASF? You'd say no because it's
>> too big?
>>
>>   *sigh*
>

> At one point the JBoss team *was* interested in joining the ASF, but was
> rejected because it was too big.  Exactly.  -- justin

How interesting I was told it was because they wanted to join like the
week jakarta was formed and wanted to stay LGPL'd.  However, who
believes mail archives anyhow.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
<ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ok, then why do we keep Tomcat? Why HTTPD itself? They have a
> viable community and thus little need for the ASF.
>
> Or they just have the luck that ASF had them when they were poor
> ans small?  :->

Indeed.  We helped them grow.  Part of our responsibility is to keep
them as they mature.  We should be responsible for the projects that
we accept.  We will not orphan projects as they grow.

> You sound like they want to come in to suck our blood. Totally
> defensive. Can't *we* leverage *their* community/code/vision? Are
> we so perfect that they can only suck our blood?

No.  But, I feel that we do not have the resources to accept every
project that comes our way.  Therefore, I think there has to be a
compelling reason to accept a particular project into the ASF.  As I
said, I have yet to see one made for Tapestry.

> What is the ASF mission? Form new communities?
> Then why has Jakarta not accepted projects that do *not* have a
> stable community?

That's probably because they lacked oversight from the foundation.
Perhaps that isn't the case any longer.

> What is, then? What? Some poor developers with a nice idea and in
> need of help? I'm getting nervous, because I think, yes I do, that
> we're insulting Tapestry developers. And for that I apologise.

I'm not trying to insult the tapestry developers.  I'm saying that
they already have a community built around it.  What can they hope to
gain by joining us?  Those benefits seem minimal.

> That's your opinion of course. So that means we should get only
> code dumps from companies and some poor developers with some lines
> of code, interesting ideas and a bag of hope?
>
> Come on....

How are we furthering our mission?  This is how I see it.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Sander Striker wrote:

> The question of what the ASF gains from 'adopting' Tapestry is an
> entirely different matter.  Asking Tapestry to answer that would
> be insulting IMO.  And I presume that the Jakarta PMC answered this
> question for themselves several months ago, when Tapestry first
> applied for adoption.

Peace, love and unity :)

Seriously: what _can_ a volunteer organisation based around open source
software and community gain from a new codebase & group of volunteers
being added, willing to work within the same spirit?

Nothing & everything.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

>> About the only thing that they can leverage is either our
>> infrastructure and brand name.
>
> You sound like they want to come in to suck our blood. Totally
> defensive. Can't *we* leverage *their* community/code/vision? Are we so
> perfect that they can only suck our blood?

Absolutely not.  But the thing is that the question was what Tapestry
thought it would gain from becoming an ASF project.  I personally
find that an interesting question.

The question of what the ASF gains from 'adopting' Tapestry is an
entirely different matter.  Asking Tapestry to answer that would
be insulting IMO.  And I presume that the Jakarta PMC answered this
question for themselves several months ago, when Tapestry first
applied for adoption.

[...]
>> My point is that our infrastructure and brand name can't be the reason
>> for joining the ASF.

I certainly can be.  It would be unhealthy for the ASF if that were the only
reasons for projects wanting to join though.

Sander

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:01 PM +1100 Conor MacNeill
> <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:

[...]

>> What would be the compelling reason that you would see for the ASF
>> to accept any project? If Tapestry does not satisfy these
>> requirements, then what sort of project would, IYHO, meet them?
>> IOW, can the incubator function at all?
>
> I believe the incubator should be about nuturing new communities.
> Projects that already have a viable community have little need for the
> ASF.

Ok, then why do we keep Tomcat? Why HTTPD itself? They have a viable
community and thus little need for the ASF.

Or they just have the luck that ASF had them when they were poor ans
small?  :->

> About the only thing that they can leverage is either our
> infrastructure and brand name.

You sound like they want to come in to suck our blood. Totally
defensive. Can't *we* leverage *their* community/code/vision? Are we so
perfect that they can only suck our blood?

> Those are things I do not want us to
> allow just any project to use - we can't be SourceForge - we'd
> collapse.  I'd rather us restrict our limited resources to helping new
> communities to form rather than helping already established
> communities.  I think there's a critical mass that every project needs
> to achieve to be self-sustaining.  Projects need help achieving that.

What is the ASF mission? Form new communities?
Then why has Jakarta not accepted projects that do *not* have a stable
community?

> My point is that our infrastructure and brand name can't be the reason
> for joining the ASF.

What is, then? What? Some poor developers with a nice idea and in need
of help? I'm getting nervous, because I think, yes I do, that we're
insulting Tapestry developers. And for that I apologise.

> Tapestry already seems to have a community and
> several major releases.  A new project that is just starting out might
> only have one or two interested people and perhaps a little bit of
> code.  Or, it might be a company looking to build a community off
> donated code (see Tomcat, Ant).  Those are the types of things I'd
> rather see the ASF pursue.  I'm not terribly interested in importing
> medium-or-large size communities.

That's your opinion of course. So that means we should get only code
dumps from companies and some poor developers with some lines of code,
interesting ideas and a bag of hope?

Come on....

> Quality over quantity.  Smaller rather than larger.

Tapestry is not of quality? It's too large? How large is too much, let's
say as Tomcat?

So let's say JBoss wanted to join ASF? You'd say no because it's too big?

  *sigh*

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: ASF Benefits (was Re: Role of incubator)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> g/Fame/s//Visibility/g
>
> Visibility = when google pays attention to you.

Better start a weblog than an Apache project then.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: ASF Benefits (was Re: Role of incubator)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 11:43  AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> g/Fame/s//Visibility/g
>>
>> Visibility = when google pays attention to you.
>

> Aren't those two different (but closely related) things?

At one time.  Yes.  Now?  I'm not sure ;-)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
g/Fame/s//Visibility/g

legal protection (was: Role of incubator)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 04:03:43AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> For example, I believe that Tomcat should certainly have its own PMC.
> There is no reason to believe that the Tomcat committers themselves
> can't be legally responsible for the project and its management.  In
> fact, IIRC, according to Roy, only actions by PMC members will be
> protected by the ASF.  Actions by committers may not be protected.
> Therefore, under this interpretation, the bulk of the Jakarta
> participants aren't covered by the protection of the ASF.  How many
> people involved in Jakarta projects realize this?  (It was brought up
> on the reorg@ list and it didn't seem to matter to some.)

Actually, the ASF is required to provide protection *only* to the following
people: directors, officers, and members. That definitely leaves out
committers, and it even leaves out PMC members who aren't members or the
Chair. The ASF will certainly try to assist the PMC members, but is
(actually) not obligated to do so.

IOW, we'll do what we can to protect the code and some of the people, but if
you want to shift any personal legal liability to the ASF, then your goal is
to become a member.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
thank you for that note, howard.  that cleared things up considerably for
me.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 06:44  AM, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:

> This sounds very Kafka to me ... your statement is that if a
> technology is
> in good shape (mature, has a community),  then it shouldn't be added to
> Apache/Jakarta/Incubator because there's no benefit.  However, from
> personal
> experience, I know that an unknown but promising project without a
> community
> (say, Tapestry in March 2000 -- check the e-mail achives) is very
> much NOT
> welcome to Jakarta.

It is almost impossible for the ASF to present a unified front,
so you can see where many of these inconsistencies come from.

[...]

> I'm alsop beginning to see what Sam Ruby was mentioning about "on my
> turf".
> We seem to be having variations of the same discussion again and
> again, in
> new places.

The incubator is new ground for everyone here, you included. You can
have
just as much of an impact on how this process goes as the next person.

-aaron

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
This sounds very Kafka to me ... your statement is that if a technology is
in good shape (mature, has a community),  then it shouldn't be added to
Apache/Jakarta/Incubator because there's no benefit.  However, from personal
experience, I know that an unknown but promising project without a community
(say, Tapestry in March 2000 -- check the e-mail achives) is very  much NOT
welcome to Jakarta.

I suppose there's a third option ... become a "journeyman committer" on
other Jakarta projects until you have the political backing to bypass this
Catch-22 filter.  My free time has been completely consumed by Tapestry for
three years, and the framework reflects that, so that was not a viable
option for me.

Here's the Jakarta mission:

Jakarta is a Project of the Apache Software Foundation, charged with the
creation and maintenance of commercial-quality, open-source, server-side
solutions for the Java Platform, based on software licensed to the
Foundation, for distribution at no charge to the public.
Nothing there that says projects must start with Jakarta, and many of the
important ones did not (BSF, ORO, Log4J and others whose history I don't
know).

Tapestry is definately commericial quality (or better) and open-source.
Apache does have a better infrastructure than SourceForge, but primarily
offers Tapestry brand-recognition.  This is very important; on SF it's
impossible to stand out from 20,000 other projects.  Moving Tapestry to
Jakarta means passing a technology/meritocracy filter.  Don't squander that
... it would survive, even if every Jakarta developer died of food poisoning
at JakartaCon2003.

What does Jakarta "get" from hosting Tapestry?  What does it get from
hosting ORO, Struts or Log4J?  It helps Jakarta with its mission statement,
by reinforcing the power of the Jakarta brand ... by delivering more
commercial-quality open-source server-side solutions.  Its a bit of a
feedback cycle, that works as long as the software is of high quality.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> As Avalon amply demonstrated, being a subproject of Jakarta today does
> not preclude becoming an ASF project down the road.
>
> What is important (to me, at least) is:
>
> (1) No coersion has ever been placed on the tapestry folks towards
> Jakarta as a home.

Here is what I did:  I asked them "What do you want to be"  --  and
explained the implications as best as I understood them at the time
(which admitedly might not have been fully) and at the time
Avalon was a Jakarta project and nothing more.

* Your address would be:  "tapestry.apache.org" instead of
jakarta.apache.org/tapestry
* You'd be directly accountable to the board instead of the Jakarta PMC
* You'd have your own PMC

They said they'd like to be a jakarta project.  I think MAINLY for the
link on the Jakarta page and the venerable (outside the Apache developer
community) Jakarta "brand".

They are now aware that they could have their cake and eat it too.

Guys if you wish to make your preference known, signify it now.

> (2) The tapestry folks are well aware of their options.

yes.

> (3) As indicated above, any decision made now is mutable.

yes.

> And, orthogonal to the above, I recognize that this increases the need
> for me to address the underlying oversight issues that continue to
> exist within Jakarta.

Here is how I would suggest handling it in regard to the Tapestry issue
supposing it is just a Jakarta project.

Sam.  I will monitor the project and tell the Jakarta PMC when/if there
are ever any issues that I think require oversite, if I'm ever unable to
perform this duty I will find someone who will.  If I do not get a
response from the Jakarta PMC I will send mail to members and the board.
 If you *trust* me to do this and *trust* my word on this, then the
issue is addressed in regards to the tapestry project.  I have a perfect
track record in this regard.

-Andy

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
At 10:04 AM -0500 1/6/03, Sam Ruby wrote:

>As Avalon amply demonstrated, being a subproject of Jakarta today does not preclude becoming an ASF project down the road.
>
>What is important (to me, at least) is:
>
>(1) No coersion has ever been placed on the tapestry folks towards Jakarta as a home.
>
>(2) The tapestry folks are well aware of their options.
>
>(3) As indicated above, any decision made now is mutable.
>
>And, orthogonal to the above, I recognize that this increases the need for me to address the underlying oversight issues that continue to exist within Jakarta.

Agreed. So I'm assuming that we are progressing under the assumption
of a Jakarta subproject. Post incubation, it's up to Tapestry what they
want (unless they want to propose, right now, that they'd prefer
being an "ASF project" directly, which I have not heard at all).

Tapestry / Jakarta (was: Role of incubator)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:04:57AM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > I think that Tapestry is a complex and large enough scoped project to
> > warrant it being its "own" ASF project, ala Avalon, and not a subproject
> > of Jakarta. However, the working assumption up to now has been that
> > the graduation path was towards Jakarta.
>
> As Avalon amply demonstrated, being a subproject of Jakarta today does
> not preclude becoming an ASF project down the road.

Quite true. And Ant as well.

> (2) The tapestry folks are well aware of their options.

I'm not sure that I believe that. It would appear there is some confusion
between being "part of the Apache Jakarta branding / site presence" and
"managed by the Jakarta PMC". Avalon maintains its site under jakarta, and
Ant is under jakarta and at ant.apache.org, yet each has their own PMC.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Tapestry get its own PMC on exit.

> (3) As indicated above, any decision made now is mutable.

Yah.

> And, orthogonal to the above, I recognize that this increases the need
> for me to address the underlying oversight issues that continue to exist
> within Jakarta.

Easiest way is to stop trying and do more spawning. Turn Jakarta into the
"Apache Jakarta" brand rather than an organizational mechanism.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

>At 2:46 PM -0500 1/5/03, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>

>>I think this will depend on the precariousness of the political process more than anything else.  I have no objection.
>>

>I think that Tapestry is a complex and large enough scoped project to
>warrant it being its "own" ASF project, ala Avalon, and not a subproject
>of Jakarta. However, the working assumption up to now has been that
>the graduation path was towards Jakarta.

Doesn't matter to me (and I highly doubt to them) so long as they're
linked from the page with the rest of the Java stuff.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:19 AM -0500 "Howard M. Lewis Ship"
<hl...@attbi.com> wrote:

> I also think the synnergy will be easier to manager within Jakarta.
> For example, there is a bit of code in Tapestry that is not
> Tapestry specific that could move into the commons, into
> commons-lang perhaps.

My point is that this could happen without Tapestry being an ASF
project.  -- justin

Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
Please define what you* mean by synergy.

*I'll pose the same question to anyone else who
has used that word in regards to Tapestry on this list.

-aaron

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:01 PM +1100 Conor MacNeill
> <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:
>
>> What problems do you see that Jakarta has managing what it has?
>> BTW, this is a genuine question, not flamebait. I have seen this
>> statement repeated often and would like to understand its basis.
>

> *sigh*

<snip reason="long"/>

I'm a bit confused by this.  There is no reason Tapestry can't be a
Jakarta project and have a PMC.  There are Jakarta projects that
function that way now.  (Avalon I believe?)

I thought this "reorganization" was going to be voluntary.  This message
does not sound that way.

I feel many of the guidelines being used so far seem to be
self-contradictory.

I'd like to hear "what is the perfect project and reasons for joining"
currently I'm not seeing a way *any* project could join.

-Andy

Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> Isn't the incubator supposed to decide exactly that question? One of the
> problems with the incubator is when the ultimate answer is "No", what
> then for a project such as Tapestry that has undergone such changes? I'd
> like to see some discussion around that, for I feel it may be very
> difficult to say No after acceptance into the Incubator.

+1

Re: oversight (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Greg Stein wrote:

>>What problems do you see that Jakarta has managing what it has? BTW, this is
>>a genuine question, not flamebait. I have seen this statement repeated often
>>and would like to understand its basis.
>
> The Jakarta PMC is *way* overburdened. Any notion that they are truly
> monitoring *all* of Jakarta is right out the window. This is immediately
> obvious at the Board level when we get a one-sentence report at the Board
> meeting about the state of Jakarta (see the November 2002 minutes).

I answered this before.  Now I will answer it here.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/index.html

Now I'm off to go nominate everyone who has consistently contributed to
writing the newsletter as PMC members.  ;-)

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Greg, I very much appreciate your style.  Wait until pretty much
everything that can be said has been (which is generally long before the
conversation actually stops), and then give everyone equal measures of
of a kick in the behind.  +1

oversight (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 10:01:54PM +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > whatever).  Why should the Jakarta project increase their management
> > burden when they already have problems managing what they have?
> >

> What problems do you see that Jakarta has managing what it has? BTW, this is
> a genuine question, not flamebait. I have seen this statement repeated often
> and would like to understand its basis.

The Jakarta PMC is *way* overburdened. Any notion that they are truly
monitoring *all* of Jakarta is right out the window. This is immediately
obvious at the Board level when we get a one-sentence report at the Board
meeting about the state of Jakarta (see the November 2002 minutes).

> Isn't the incubator supposed to decide exactly that question? One of the
> problems with the incubator is when the ultimate answer is "No", what then
> for a project such as Tapestry that has undergone such changes? I'd like to
> see some discussion around that, for I feel it may be very difficult to say
> No after acceptance into the Incubator.

Actually, an interesting response to this would be: every project coming out
the Incubator gets its own PMC. That solves the oversight problem, and it
solves the question of "what if the PMC later decides it doesn't want the
code?"

Presumably, the project entered the Incubator based on another PMC's request
or based on the Incubator itself deciding to accept it. The exit rule for
the incubator is, effectively, a self-sustaining community. Wrapping a PMC
around that is no big deal (because, really, the PMC simply equals the
active committers that have been "in the incubator").

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Justin,

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 06:00  AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>

>>> Why not a top-level project? I'd be ok with that as a result.
>>

>> The tapestry community prefered to join Jakarta.  From a visibility
>> prospect this makes the most sense.  Most people at work have
>> jakarta.apache.org as their homepage.
>

> Being a top-level project does not exclude a project from being
> linked from a Jakarta webpage.

Yeah.  Like I said, I don't think I, Sam or the Tapestry committers care
whether its "top level" or not provided it appears where people expect
it (on Jakarta).  (Anyone who I just presumed to speak for who does
care, speak up)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 07:22 PM, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 06:00  AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>>> Why not a top-level project? I'd be ok with that as a result.
>>
>> The tapestry community prefered to join Jakarta.  From a visibility
>> prospect this makes the most sense.  Most people at work have
>> jakarta.apache.org as their homepage.
>
> Being a top-level project does not exclude a project from being
> linked from a Jakarta webpage.

being a top level project - or not - should be more about how the ASF
supervises and manages the project and less about being a part of jakarta
(or not).

the link from the jakarta home page is just a physical manifestation of
the relationship. i can see why the tapestry community might want to
belong to the jakarta community - and some of the advantages that it would
bring. there should really be no reason why tapestry couldn't be part of
jakarta but supervised by the ASF as a top-level project (if that turns
out to be the best plan). indeed - as i understand it - that's the model
that most of jakarta will be (slowly) moving towards in the future.

- robert

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> Let's all follow the second half of the equation.  And not turn this
> into a referendum on Jakarta, or on me, or Andy.

+1 Jakarta
+1 Sam
-1 Andy (that guy is a pain in the a**)

> The tapestry developers have demonstrated a fair amount of patience,
> persistence, and good humour in all of this.  Each time we have set the
> bar, they have risen to the challenge, and we have responded by raising
> the bar.  My request is that we set the bar one last time.  This time
> for good.

+1 Absolutely.  Pretty Pretty please lets.  Much better said than my
message, thats what I was trying to poke at.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:

>>Incubator for a project which states "Tapestry is a community project,
>>and now follows the Apache meritocracy rules to guide its future
>>development." on its site, has 6 active committers and a busy mailing
>>list? Naaah. They should be a proper Jakarta subproject right from the
>>start if that is OK with them.
>>

> Yes, that would count as "lowering the bar" (see my previous message).

I can speak freely since I'm a caveman over here :)

> On the CVS front ... my last commits to the SF CVS repository went in
> yesterday (Sat Jan 4).  I should be able to get a CVS repository snapshot
> with those changes on Jan 6.  Who is going to handle the import, and how is
> it done?  There's a lot of legacy cruft in there that could be filtered out
> (for instance, old PDF documents, the old source tree as com/primix/*,
> etc.).

cvs import will do just fine, I assume. Maybe it's better that you prune
the source tree before that. If you are willing to loose the history,
that makes things easier, but I don't think this is a requirement.

Quite honestly, I don't see much value in the incubation process for
Tapestry. Unfortunately, http://incubator.apache.org/resolution.html
seems to indicate it is a requirement projects to pass through this
incubation process, stalling the process in this precise case.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Tapestry CVS repository now ready for import

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
doh.. .6:00pm EST (its now 8:50 am)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I will do this at 6:00pm this evening if no one beats me to it.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Hot off the SourceForge:

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Thats great!

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>

>> What is important here is not hard and fast Rules (with a capital
>> "R"), but that we all apply common sense and try to work together.
>

> +1
>
>> FWIW, as a member of the board of directors, I voted *FOR* the
>
>  > incubator.  At the time, I didn't see it as a gatekeeper, but as a
>  > resource or facilitator.  To date, all I have seen is evidence of the
>  > former.
>
> i find that very discouraging.  'resource/facilitator' would seem to
> be a primarily passive thing, such as through the web site (glossary,
> anyone?).  i'm not sure i see how any active role surrounding the
> aspect of 'new projects must come through the incubator' can realistically
> be seen  *without* some bit of 'gatekeeper'ness.

By being such a great help and respected community builder that projects
WANT to come through the process.  To resource/facilitator I'd add
valuable mentor.  All the best mentors that I've ever had, made me seek
the mentoring from them.  Only the bad ones forced it.

By advocating (and making it so) the incubator as a resource of helpful
people who facilitate community building, help you find the right way to
get your mail lists, wiki pages, web site, etc set up.  If that were
done, I'd WANT my next project to come through the incubator.  As it
stands, I'm leaning towards just not doing it at Apache at all.  (not
saying anyone wants it here or anything, just thats how I feel about it).

The best example of this is Sam's Gump tool.  No one MADE all of these
projects (http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/) use Gump.  Peer
pressure, the fact that Gump performed a valueable service, etc.  Sam
just was responsive to requests and "if you build it they will come" and
Gump is now building like everything.  And sam did this wihtout
utilizing "control"!

-Andy

incubator vs individual PMCs? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 07:27:29PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> A rule might be that it is up to the individual PMCs to decide whether
> they are able & willing to handle a donation on their own, or prefer it
> to be 'handled' by the Incubator. In the case of Tapestry, I can only
> hope the Jakarta PMC would decide they are able to be self-supporting in
> setting up Tapestry as a subproject.

No. One of the primary purposes of the Incubator, which hasn't been
mentioned in this recent thread, is managing the legal aspects around
arriving software. The Incubator is specifically charged with handling the
new project so they can ensure that the licenses are properly changed, the
various copyrights are protected, and that we have contributor agreements
and/or software grants for all incoming software.

Individual PMCs are *not* supposed to accept incoming software. That has
been broken in the past, and there are unclear rules and procedures. The
Incubator is intended to provide a specific sequence of steps and a
checklist for ensuring that the ASF has properly accepted responsibility for
the software.

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>> FWIW, as a member of the board of directors, I voted *FOR* the
>
>  > incubator.  At the time, I didn't see it as a gatekeeper, but as a
>  > resource or facilitator.  To date, all I have seen is evidence of the
>  > former.
>
> i find that very discouraging.  'resource/facilitator' would seem to
> be a primarily passive thing, such as through the web site (glossary,
> anyone?).  i'm not sure i see how any active role surrounding the
> aspect of 'new projects must come through the incubator' can realistically
> be seen  *without* some bit of 'gatekeeper'ness.

Is this 'responsibility means empowerment'?

If so, how come Tapestry appears to be lost?

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Sander Striker wrote:

>>Incubator for a project which states "Tapestry is a community project,
>>and now follows the Apache meritocracy rules to guide its future
>>development." on its site, has 6 active committers and a busy mailing
>>list? Naaah. They should be a proper Jakarta subproject right from the
>>start if that is OK with them.
>
> Sorry Steven, but _every_ project has to go through the Incubator.  Some
> of them will remain there only a short period, others somewhat longer
> and some will die in the process.

This is a slippery slope with ill defined terms.

Can HTTPD accept a patch from a non-committer without involvement of the
incubator?

Can HTTPD vote in a new committer without involvement of the incubator?

Can HTTPD decide to reorganize their cvs into multiple directories
and/or repositories?

Do you see where I am heading?

The last I heard, Tapestry does not seek to become a "Capital P" project
in the ASF sense.  Trust me, if I were inclined to do so, I could have
figured out a "legal" way to route around the incubator.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: mailing list organizatoin

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 09:32:18PM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> No, this does not belong on the community mailing list. If you
> are interested in helping foster new projects, and have opinions
> on how things like mailing lists should be formed, then join
> the incubator list.

You bet! +1 to that.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 09:32:18PM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> No, this does not belong on the community mailing list. If you
> are interested in helping foster new projects, and have opinions
> on how things like mailing lists should be formed, then join
> the incubator list.

You bet! +1 to that.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Re: mailing list organizatoin (was: [VOTE] Mother may I)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> +1
>
> (There is a lot of this kind of experience and knowledge hanging
> around in the backs of many of your heads -- we should write it down!)

ccing community as I think we're moving sufficiently off course that its
best discussed there.

Started it:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?MailListBestPractices

Anyone who wishes to participate please feel free to edit this page.
Once it becomes useful I'll create a more formal page.

-Andy

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Re: mailing list organization

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 10:56 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 08:36:21PM -0500, Ben Hyde wrote:
>> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> The proposal suggests a separate cvs mailing list.  My recommendation
>>> is that cvs mail be directed to the -dev list.  This accomplishes ...
>>
>> +1
>>
>> The separation of cvs@ and dev@ in httpd is before my time, I'd be
>> fascinated to hear stories about it.  - ben

In my experience it's surprising how many committers aren't on any
given CVS mailing list.  Pushing them together forces developers to
behave like I think they should - what could possibly be wrong with
that :-).

> Personally, I prefer the separation, and for keeping the users on the
> developer's list.

The CVS mailing list in the face of the developers is good because they
get to observe the code in pain.  The user mailing list in the face of
the developers is good because they get to observe the users in pain.
:-)

I like to cling to the fantasy that developers are primarily users and
they have come to the project to coordinate with other developer-users
to solve a common problem.  As that fantasy become more and more bogus
some scheme to increase the chance developers get a taste of the user's
pain is a good thing.

I like to cling to the fantasy that developers feel it's part of the
job to know enough about all the code in their project that they can
and in fact would be frightened not to keep an eye on every commit.
Sadly I know from experience that a surprisingly low percentage of
developers actually are on the cvs lists.  That maybe just the lack of
clear instructions and reminders - something the incubator can help
with.

> I've been using and liking this model for a long while now.

I doubt there is a 'best practice' (what a pompus term that is!) here;
or if there is then it maybe complex to state... maybe something like:

  - The vast majority of people involved with editing (or even
understanding)
    the code should be on the relevant CVS lists.  Many points of view
are
    a big help in guarding code quality and capturing easy enhancements.
  - You have to be on the dev list if you want to have a voice in how the
    code evolves; users may find it useful to lurk on that list.
  - ... I don't know exactly what to say about the user list that is
    likely to get follow thru for a large user base.

mailing list organizatoin (was: [VOTE] Mother may I)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Mother may I (was: Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.

Re: please signify Mail list preference WAS: Re: [VOTE] Mother may I (was: Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
My preference is to keep the cvs messages separate but, since I monitor both
lists anyway, its no difference to me either way.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> The proposal suggests a separate cvs mailing list.  My recommendation is
> that cvs mail be directed to the -dev list.  This accomplishes two things:
>
> 1) causes more -dev's to actually be exposed to each change.  Or, at a
> minimum, it eliminates an excuse.  ;-)

I agree.  This is how POI-dev opperates and it works quite well for us.

> 2) keep -user's on the -user mailing list.  Many users are smart, and
> realize that the devs hang out on the dev list.  I've actually had
> requests from users to stop sending cvs email as they weren't devs.  The
> response was simple.  ;-)

I agree, I quickly ask power users who start falling down the developer
Cool I'll ask which they prefertrail to join the dev list....might as
well push em ;-)

> Both are personal recommendations, and by no means a requirement.  How
> the lists are to be configured is up to the direct participants.

Cool I'll ask which they prefer.  Guys... What do you prefer?

>> 7. work with Sam (whom I'm assuming will help me) to get tapestry
>> building under Gump and the site updating from Gump
>

> You can safely assume this.

:-) Why thank you Mr. Ruby.

-Andy

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> 2. import it,
> 3. ask the infrastructure to make the entries,
> 4. request the appropriate mailing lists

2,3, and 4 require cvsadmin privs on icarus, karma on CVSROOT, and
qmlist privs on nagoya.  I can handle all of this.

One question in advance on #4, and I will choose to ask it publically here.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> All the above can be wiped out in seconds upon request.
>
> Andy, dIon, please don't proceed futher until this vote is complete.

I'm going ahead and gathering the account names and email addresses for
the request to root and planning out things like wiki imports (how we
plan to do it without taking the action) with howard and the gang.  No
harm no foul and it keeps me sane...

Action is cool.

-Andy

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>To help facilitate this (as in, eliminating critical path items), I went
>>ahead and created an *EMPTY* cvs repository, granted karma to acoliver
>>and dion *ONLY*, and created the dev and user mailing list (a separate
>>cvs mailing list will be created if that is desired outcome) with
>>acoliver@apache.org as the initial moderator to both.
>

> Make sure you create a tapestry-cvs@jakarta.apache.org alias forwarding to
> the dev list, too.
>
> BTW, one of the concerns I had about the incubator project was that
> projects would be rooted at "incubator", e.g. the CVS repos would be
> "/home/cvs/incubator-$project", the dev list at
> $project-dev@incubator.apache.org, etc - and this would mean a lot of name
> changing when a project moved out of the project.  However, you've set
> this up so it's essentially inside the Jakarta project already.  That's a
> nice way of avoiding the rename problem since we know where Tapestry would
> go (discussion about making it a top-level project notwithstanding), but
> is this a good pattern to set for the future?

I think for *accepting* projects that have a clear path of promotion.
Yes.  If someone was starting a project in the incubator... no.  If the
incubator accepted something that didn't have a clear path to promotion,
probably not (then again, why wouldn't that go in commons?).

-Andy

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
>  I can all be
> wiped out in seconds.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Only in the surf Sam :-)

Conor

Re: [VOTE] Mother may I (was: Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>To help facilitate this (as in, eliminating critical path items), I went
>>ahead and created an *EMPTY* cvs repository, granted karma to acoliver
>>and dion *ONLY*, and created the dev and user mailing list (a separate
>>cvs mailing list will be created if that is desired outcome) with
>>acoliver@apache.org as the initial moderator to both.
>
> Make sure you create a tapestry-cvs@jakarta.apache.org alias forwarding to
> the dev list, too.

Think I was born yesterday?  ;-)

> -rw-rw-r-- 1 qmlist qmlist  33 Jan  5 18:36 .qmail-jakarta-tapestry-cvs

Note the timestamp (yes, I could easily forge that, but I didn't).  I
didn't mention it because where the cvs messages go is still under
discussion, and didn't want to mention that I set it up the way I (and
perhaps apparently you?) think it ought to be done. ;-)

> BTW, one of the concerns I had about the incubator project was that
> projects would be rooted at "incubator", e.g. the CVS repos would be
> "/home/cvs/incubator-$project", the dev list at
> $project-dev@incubator.apache.org, etc - and this would mean a lot of name
> changing when a project moved out of the project.  However, you've set
> this up so it's essentially inside the Jakarta project already.  That's a
> nice way of avoiding the rename problem since we know where Tapestry would
> go (discussion about making it a top-level project notwithstanding), but
> is this a good pattern to set for the future?

Suggestions?

Sometimes the best way to focus discussion is to take concrete action.
I was merely cueing off of (1) Ken's note that the only obstacles that
remained were technical todos, (2) the tapestry proposal itself, and (3)
the string of +1 votes that came in yesterday, in particular the one
Sander Striker - his vote was clearly not an automatic +1, but an
indication that that his concerns either have been, or are well on their
way towards being, addressed.

Anyway, it took only a few minutes to set up what I did.  I can all be
wiped out in seconds.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Mother may I (was: Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
> [X] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0 [why?]
> [ ] -1 [why?]

Sander

[VOTE] Mother may I (was: Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> Somebody has to speak for the rest of the incubator. Part of the problem
> that has happened is that everybody is waiting for everybody else to state
> that consensus is reached. As a result, it never appears that consensus is
> present, so nobody attempts to do anything.
>
> IMO, the first step in the Incubator process should be "name a shepherd".
> That person can then drive the acquisition of votes when needed, start
> following the necessary legal checklists, perform/request the infrastructure
> bits, and then the group can get down to the actual Apache Way Brainwashing.

The tapestry community is certfied by my to have been brainwashed as to
meritocracy, consenus, voting rules.  Evidence is apparent in their
mailing list archive for the last few months.  You'll see a consistant
pattern of voting and community based decion making.

<joke requestedaction="laugh,smirk,ignore">
I didn't teach them how to have a wicked flame war and fillibuster but
I'm sure they'll figure that out on their own.
</joke>

May I:

1. Get the snapshot from howard,
2. import it,
3. ask the infrastructure to make the entries,
4. request the appropriate mailing lists
5. ask the developers to all send me requested account names which I
will munge if already taken
6. create the website (under jakarta.apache.org/proposals/incubator with
a redirected link from jakarta.apache.org/incubator to save poor
confused users like me from having to think real hard)
7. work with Sam (whom I'm assuming will help me) to get tapestry
building under Gump and the site updating from Gump
8. Work with howard to import the wiki (if they want) via some means
(whatever requires the least effort and produces the maximum outcome)
9. Graciously Accept help from anyone else who wants to help.

Please signify
[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -0 [why?]
[ ] -1 [why?]

Thanks,

Andy

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
At 3:08 PM -0800 1/5/03, Greg Stein wrote:

>IMO, the first step in the Incubator process should be "name a shepherd".
>That person can then drive the acquisition of votes when needed, start
>following the necessary legal checklists, perform/request the infrastructure
>bits, and then the group can get down to the actual Apache Way Brainwashing.

I think that a separate shepherd for each proposed project makes sense
and should be part of the (initial) Incubation effort. Having it the
same person all the time would, I think, tend to be unwise in the
long run.

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
you know what i think would be particularly useful to/for
the incubator?  feedback from the tapestry people about
terms/procesures/relationships they find unclear, and ways
in which they find/are finding the incubation onerous.
the former can help update the documentation and the web
site, and the latter can help improve the active roles
if the incubator.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> If so, I can take care of nearly *all* those technical to-dos
> personally, and can take care of initiating the request to root for the
> one remaining item.
>
> I've been reticent to initiate this, lest it infuriate half of the ASF
> membership...

Some of us still remember http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/984.html :)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

No more voting on Tapestry, please

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.
> Is there consensus on this?  Perhaps this can be brought to a [VOTE]
> of the incubator PMC?

The incubator PMC already voted on Tapestry last year (Dec 28) and
already
approved it, but the vote was held on the wrong mailing list and most of
the PMC is just now getting back to reading mail on a regular basis
after a very disruptive holiday schedule.

And, to echo Greg's words, what I said at the time was that it wasn't
up to the incubator to approve or disapprove, but rather to decide how
it was to be accomplished.  We were in the process of that when all this
NOISE started about whether or not we should accept a project that the
ASF
had already decided elsewhere to accept!

PLEASE folks, if you are interested in helping the incubation process
in any way, PLEASE volunteer to be on the mailing lists and be on the
PMC.  I will personally nominate any ASF member or long-time committer
that wishes to work on incubation to be on the PMC.  What I will not do
is encourage people who do not have time to volunteer to use this as yet
another forum for them to spout off about the direction of the ASF.
I don't have time to read your comments outside of the appropriate
forums.

Sam/Andy, go ahead and start jakarta-tapestry (and the reason it is
called that is because we want the mailing lists to be handled by
jakarta.apache.org and not for any other reason someone might imagine).
I strongly encourage you to start creating project-specific Unix
groups for "tapestry" NOW, rather than continue to put everything
under the jakarta group, regardless of the PMC status.  Please
verify with Jim that we have the appropriate software grant, signed
and delivered to the ASF, before linking to it from our website.

Meanwhile, the incubator volunteers need to start incorporating what
we have learned from this process into the website documentation.

....Roy

Re: importing CVS tarballs (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Cool!  Thanks!

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>

>> afaik, the only obstacles now aren't
>> obstacles, just technical to-dos (accounts, cvs, et cetera).
>

> HOT DAMN!
>
> Is there consensus on this?  Perhaps this can be brought to a [VOTE] of
> the incubator PMC?
>
> If so, I can take care of nearly *all* those technical to-dos
> personally, and can take care of initiating the request to root for the
> one remaining item.
>
> I've been reticent to initiate this, lest it infuriate half of the ASF
> membership...
>
> - Sam Ruby

As a sponsoring member I had planned to:

set up the tapestry website
set up the cvs module (wouldn't mind some help though, haven't done the
import with history in awhile if ever)
submit the account requests
work with howard to find a way to import the wiki pages
work with sam to get tapestry building under GUMP

But Sam doing it all is even better! ;-)

-Andy

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> To make an oversweeping generalization, Jakara is tired.  They have been
> asked again and again, in many different ways, would it be OK if
> Tapestry becomes a Jakarta subproject.  The answer has been yes, yes,
> yes, and once again yes.  The more times the question is asked, the less

good enough for me, then.  i can't speak for the rest of the incubator
pmc, but i'm now abundantly satisfied.

> When I asked what was desired, I got the following response from Ken Coar:
>
>> it would be nice to have such a binding answer from the jakarta project,
>> and even nicer to have interested parties from jakarta (including but
>> not limited to andy) watching and participating in the process to a)
>> ensure
>> that tapestry doesn't morph away from what jakarta agreed to accept, and
>> b) help the incubator people identify and fix issues.  just as andy
>> and dIon
>> have already done in this very thread (thanks!).
>

> We clearly are pursuing the "and even nicer" path of this.  I realize
> that Ken wanted both, my immediate knee-jerk reaction to the first term
> in the boolean expression was to respond with a "it would be nice to
> have such a binding answer from the incubator project", but I am trying
> to maintain my cool.

binding answer to *what* from the incubator?  i am not trying to be
difficult, sam; quite the opposite.  let me rephrase it: i, personally,
think it would be a good thing for all concerned -- asf, tapestry,
jakarta, incubator -- to have as many knowledgeable and (constructively)
critical eyes watching the tapestry incubation as possible.  i now feel
entirely comfortable (and i hope everyone else does) that jakarta has
reserved a spot for tapestry.  afaik, the only obstacles now aren't

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>> I don't think that there are any foregone conclusions wrt Tapestry.
>> They've put forward a proposal, various people in the Jakarta
>> project were  enthusiastic and hence it's come to the incubator.
>> What happens from here  is a complete unknown.
>
> That depends.  I believe Sam said in a thread that he just hoped that
> the lack of comment meant that it was okay to add it to Jakarta.

I am quite capable of lighting a fire under the current PMC members to
get them to express a vote.  I have not yet chosen to do so yet.

To make an oversweeping generalization, Jakara is tired.  They have been
asked again and again, in many different ways, would it be OK if
Tapestry becomes a Jakarta subproject.  The answer has been yes, yes,
yes, and once again yes.  The more times the question is asked, the less

And that's not because they "avoided the question in spectacular
fashion.".

Re: who decides? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> Let's get Tapestry rolling instead of trying to wear a cap that doesn't
> belong here.

Absolutely.

Re: who decides? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 04:31:43AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>>>I'd agree with this last sentence. But given the Tapestry
>>>developers  originally put the proposal to Jakarta, and that all
>>>new projects were  supposed to come through 'incubation' (AFAIK),
>>>that's how they got here.
>>
>>And, perhaps, the role of the Incubator is to place a brake on some
>>of the growth.  Or, perhaps not (the incubator PMC gets to decide).
>>Uncontrolled growth may not be beneficial long-term.  But, I've yet
>>to see a discussion on how much growth we're willing to handle.
>

> That is absolutely not the role for the Incubator. The Board did not create
> it with the idea that it is the decision maker on what belongs at the ASF.
> That is up to all of the PMCs. The Incubator is for dealing with their
> decisions -- for bringing the code in and ensuring the new community
> observes our requirements and ideals.
>
> The Jakarta PMC said "yes, we want it" and now the Incubator is responsible
> for dealing with that.

That's what I told Andy when he questioned me about what the Incubator
should do. And that's also why I got a bit angry with the current
yes-no-yes-no-wewantit-nowedon't stuff.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Wow, if that is how the incubator is to function I absolutely want to be
a part of it.

What I am observing does not seem to match this.

-Andy

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Sunday, January 5, 2003 2:27 PM -0800 Greg Stein
<gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Jakarta PMC said "yes, we want it" and now the Incubator is
> responsible for dealing with that.

And, how should the ASF deal with creation of new PMCs?  -- justin

Re: who decides? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 02:27  PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 04:31:43AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>> I'd agree with this last sentence. But given the Tapestry
>>> developers  originally put the proposal to Jakarta, and that all
>>> new projects were  supposed to come through 'incubation' (AFAIK),
>>> that's how they got here.
>>
>> And, perhaps, the role of the Incubator is to place a brake on some
>> of the growth.  Or, perhaps not (the incubator PMC gets to decide).
>> Uncontrolled growth may not be beneficial long-term.  But, I've yet
>> to see a discussion on how much growth we're willing to handle.
>
> That is absolutely not the role for the Incubator. The Board did not
> create
> it with the idea that it is the decision maker on what belongs at the
> ASF.
> That is up to all of the PMCs. The Incubator is for dealing with their
> decisions -- for bringing the code in and ensuring the new community
> observes our requirements and ideals.

That's quite harsh, and I think you're missing Justin's point. It seems
to me he's saying that the Incubator is here to make sure that
new projects follow our rules and don't get out of control. It is
obvious that this is a problem that Incubator was created in part to
solve. Staying under control may mean "placing a brake" on the
expectations
of some of the current PMCs, at least to begin with, but once we're all
on the same page WRT ASF expectations, oversight obligations, etc...
then I don't see the Incubator acting as a "brake" anymore.

> The Jakarta PMC said "yes, we want it" and now the Incubator is
> responsible
> for dealing with that.

Correct, assuming "it" is in line with the foundation philosophies:

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC is responsible for
        regularly evaluating products under its purview and making the
        determination in each case of whether the product should be
        abandoned, continue to receive guidance and support, or
        proposed to the board for promotion to full project status as
        part of an existing or new Foundation PMC; and be it further

> If the HTTPD PMC said "yes, we want mod_whatzit" then the Incubator
> brings
> it into the ASF.
>
> But the Incubator *CANNOT* dictate their ideas of what is or is not
> "proper"
> for the ASF to those other PMCs. Absolutely not. If there is any
> question
> about that, then I'm more than happy to get an official statement from
> the
> Board to that effect.

I don't believe it is within the responsibility or right of the
Incubator
PMC to tell other PMCs how to interpret their own charters. That means
that
at a technological level Incubator has little or no say. That is not
what is on the table here, though. What's on the table is whether or not
said new project(s) are in line with ASF philosophies, and if they ever
can
be. That is most definitely under the purview of the Incubator PMC:

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC is responsible for
        providing guidance and ensuring that subprojects under its
        purview develop products according to the Foundation's
        philosophy and guidelines for collaborative development; and be
        it further

So who defines this? Think of it this way -- the Incubator is the
executive branch, and the members are the legislators.

> "Wah wah, but that means the PMCs can create unbounded work for us."
> Those
> other PMCs should be participating in the process. If they impose too
> much
> work and the incubation process slows as a result, then they can help
> it
> along (in their own self-interest) by adding their own people to the
> mix.

That's not a fear I have, actually quite the contrary. If that's a
problem we
have then the ASF is probably doing pretty well.

-aaron

who decides? (was: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.

Incubator to handle adoptions, WAS: RE: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Given the current resolution the Incubator is where all projects
come through when entering the ASF.  Be it new ones, donations,
adoptions etc.  This is, in case of adoptions, to see if it is
viable (for both ends) to adopt, and, if so, to verify if the
community of the adopted project is healthy (with respect to ASF
rules/guidelines).

Sander

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> wrote on 05/01/2003 11:31:43
PM:

> --On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:09 PM +1100 dion@multitask.com.au
> wrote:
[snip]
> Do we really see that our community is stagnating?  I'm perfectly
> fine with not achieving global domination.  If it means that we're
> not accepting every project that comes our way, so be it.  People are
> free to do their own thing elsewhere.  We can be choosy.
I'm happy with the ASF being choosy. At the moment I can't tell choosy
from 'refuse anything established externally' though, as this is the first
project to go to the incubator and my first exposure to it.

[snip]
> > A rhetorical question: 'What can the ASF offer any of it's existing
> > projects?'. If project structure were all it were about, most
> > developers  wouldn't be here.
>
> Community.
Exactly. So shouldn't the existing 'community' decide?

[snip]
> > And how is that achieved? It seems like 'from within' is a dead-end
> > road,  since we are a limited resource without external people and
> > code. So that  leaves outside people, but no 'outside' code that
> > can be added?
>
> I think you underestimate the creativity of the people we already
> have and the communities we already have.
Well, you'd be wrong :) I definitely don't understimate the people we
already have, but know that there's a finite number of them and they can't
possibly keep growing code and do a good job of maintaining and supporting
it without extra resource.

[snip]
> And, perhaps, the role of the Incubator is to place a brake on some
> of the growth.  Or, perhaps not (the incubator PMC gets to decide).
Yep.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> I don't think that there are any foregone conclusions wrt Tapestry.
> They've put forward a proposal, various people in the Jakarta
> project were  enthusiastic and hence it's come to the incubator.
> What happens from here  is a complete unknown.

That depends.  I believe Sam said in a thread that he just hoped that
the lack of comment meant that it was okay to add it to Jakarta.

> Why not a top-level project? I'd be ok with that as a result.

My impression from Andy and Sam was that they planned on adding it to
Jakarta and that it was a done deal and that they were waiting for
the bureaucracy to file the paperwork.  (Sorry to disappoint.)

> How does the ASF grow and maintain it's community? Is it by
> attracting new  developers to existing code? Growth from within?
> Isn't acceptance of a  project in whole one of the ways of
> strengthening the community?

Do we really see that our community is stagnating?  I'm perfectly
fine with not achieving global domination.  If it means that we're
not accepting every project that comes our way, so be it.  People are
free to do their own thing elsewhere.  We can be choosy.

One of the side goals of the incubator should be to publish/codify
ASF policies.  This furthers allows people to adopt our policies
outside of the ASF.  There should be no restriction to using our
philosophy only within the realm of the ASF.

> A rhetorical question: 'What can the ASF offer any of it's existing
> projects?'. If project structure were all it were about, most
> developers  wouldn't be here.

Community.

> I don't think the suggestion has been made that the Tapestry
> developers  and users are fed up with Sourceforge. And I agree, the
> infrastructure is  no reason, and I don't think it's ever been put
> forward as one.

Andy said that one of the main reasons for accepting Tapestry was
because 'Sourceforge's servers are down half the time, etc.'

> I didn't think you could 'join' the *ASF*? Hence it couldn't
> possibly be a  reason.

Erg, I meant the project becoming an ASF project.  Not the membership
in the foundation itself.

Re: Feedback from Tapestry developers, WAS: RE: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
This is an honest request.  Could the Incubator PMC go dsicuss and come
up with a set of guidelines and unanswered questions which are not
ASF-internal questions (which you can't reasonably expect them to
answer) then post them here.

I'm confused.  I assume they are.  This conversation is not starting out
right.  Its meandering back into "reorg" questions which I'd prefer not
to see happen rather than addressing *this* project.

So please come back with a clear list of questions FOR the tapestry
committers.  I see it as more dIon and my place to *shield* them from
the usual "You can't join because you're too mature.  You can't join
because your too immature" stuff and only ask them to answer the
questions which are clear and can be actually be answered.

I view those other "questions" as "opinions on the direction of Apache"
which can only be answered by the person that holds the said opinion.
(I appologize if the tone sounds harsh or horse just how I feel about
these types of discussions)

-Andy

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

[... very long mail with questions and answers about/pro adoption/incubation
 of Tapestry...]

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Sunday, January 5, 2003 10:44 PM +1100 Jeff Turner
<je...@apache.org> wrote:

> The way I see it:
>
> Sourceforge = Thousands of projects, many good, but most bad
> Apache      = Good projects which (in addition) follow ASF-style,
> community-oriented development patterns.

Any project is free to follow our style of development.  The ASF need
only be a home to some of them.  Given that we have a limited number
of resources, do we really have to be a home to every project that
follows our patterns?

>> goal.  I believe *our* primary goal is to help develop new
>> communities.
>
> Depends on if '*our*' mean the Incubator or Apache.

ASF in general.  -- justin

Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 12:32:50AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> A similar argument goes towards extending our brand name to a project
> to increase visibility of it.  It's great to have your project be a
> part of the ASF.  I'm sure there are lots of projects that would like
> to be a part of the ASF.  But, letting everyone join the ASF merely
> dilutes the brand.

Or strengthens it.  Which is the whole point..

The way I see it:

Sourceforge = Thousands of projects, many good, but most bad
Apache      = Good projects which (in addition) follow ASF-style,
community-oriented development patterns.

The problem is that Apache-the-seal-of-quality is mixed up with
Apache-the-infrastructure-provider and Apache-the-legal-umbrella.  If the
Tapestry crowd aren't unhappy with SF hosting, and don't require legal
protection, why not just 'symlink' them into Jakarta by adding them to
jakarta-site2/index.xml?

> Nor do I agree with the fact that there is project synergy with other
> ASF projects is a reason for inclusion.  I could say that about lots
> of other open source projects that we're not responsible for.  Not
> all projects under an ASF-style license have to be part of the ASF.
> Nor do all implementations of a specific class of product have to be
> found at the ASF.  The goal of the ASF isn't to house every open
> source project or to build a product line.  That's SourceForge's
> goal.  I believe *our* primary goal is to help develop new
> communities.

Depends on if '*our*' mean the Incubator or Apache.

> To me, Tapestry seems a bit too mature for the ASF, and I don't think
> we can add substantial value to Tapestry.  The word for this list is
> 'incubator.'  This seems like an adoption rather than an incubation.

Indeed.  Having mature projects go through an incubator seems rather
condescending and pointless.  If they're good enough, make'em top-level.
If they're not, what's wrong with Sourceforge?

--Jeff

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Sander Striker wrote:
> [...]

Furthermore, I went over and joined Tapestry and helped them start the
process which would have been criteria for entry (ASL license,
meritocratic voting rules, other "structural" things).  dIon also
volunteered to help.

This process was started prior to the incubator IIRC and hence started
under the old "method".

-Andy

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Because they want to be.  Some folks in the Apache community would like
them here.

I think there is another discussion in here that would be better
continued on members@apache.org.  We are sending an inconsistant message
and conducting a Catch-22 experiment at the same time.

The question "At what level should a project that wishes to join, join".
I feel it is unfair to subject them to it.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

"Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> wrote on 04/01/2003 12:54:42 PM:

> Eventually, I'd like to change package names.  Yes, that would wipe out
> history as well.  I've already subjected users to this once:  renaming
> com.primix.tapestry.* to net.sf.tapestry*.
>
> Renaming to org.apache.tapestry.* would be desirable.  I suppose doing
it
> sooner rather than later is good, because there's a project afoot to
create
> a tapestry component repository, and that will be a nightmare if there
are
> two competing, incompatible code bases.
Yep. Much cleaner with one stable cut.

> Our main problem is that the source code repository is anything but
> quiescent right now; we're trying to close down the 2.3 release (in the
> HEAD) while forging onward with lots of 2.4 work.  2.3 will be the last
> release on SF (in fact, 2.3 GA may be on Incubator/Jakarta).
>
> I'm very concerned about losing work at this point.  If we move
repositories
> or rename packages, we may lose the ability to apply a CVS patch.
But that's going to be the same regardless of when you make the move.

[snip other stuff].

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Eventually, I'd like to change package names.  Yes, that would wipe out
history as well.  I've already subjected users to this once:  renaming
com.primix.tapestry.* to net.sf.tapestry*.

Renaming to org.apache.tapestry.* would be desirable.  I suppose doing it
sooner rather than later is good, because there's a project afoot to create
a tapestry component repository, and that will be a nightmare if there are
two competing, incompatible code bases.

Our main problem is that the source code repository is anything but
quiescent right now; we're trying to close down the 2.3 release (in the
HEAD) while forging onward with lots of 2.4 work.  2.3 will be the last
release on SF (in fact, 2.3 GA may be on Incubator/Jakarta).

I'm very concerned about losing work at this point.  If we move repositories
or rename packages, we may lose the ability to apply a CVS patch.

If it was just my branch, the problem would be more tractable; I would
simply merge in a few changes from the 2.3 code into my branch ... we could
even do renames and reoganization and check in my branch to Jakarta as
org.apache.tapestry.*/1.1.

Alas, Mind Bridge has his own set of changes in his branch.

I've never tried this, but ... we could create a new branch off of head,
let's call it "incubator".  I could attempt to move my changes to the
incubator branch, then Mind Bridge could do the same.  We could then rename
packages to org.apache and use that as the image to commit to a Jakarta
repository.

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 08:18 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
>> Do we start clean, or do we transfer our CVS repository from
>> SourceForge to
>> Jakarta?
>
> Are you planning on changing your class names to org.apache.*?
>
> - Sam Ruby

I found it notable that the W3 has one of it's only three "fundamental
design principles" (all of which it claims to have inherited from the
Internet)...

"3. Decentralization: Decentralization is without a doubt the newest
principle and most difficult to apply. To allow the Web to "scale" to
worldwide proportions while resisting errors and breakdowns, the
architecture(like the Internet) must limit or eliminate dependencies on
central registries."

I wonder if collectively apache.org might prefer to adopt - on
principle - that class names be less decentralized.  But that, like
Sam's query, is a question for another day... I think?

  - ben

ps.  I'm becoming terrible addicted to www.bartleby.com

"Architecture might be more sportive and varied if every man built his
own house, but it would not be the art and science that we have made
it; and while every woman prepares food for her own family, cooking can
never rise beyond the level of the amateur’s work."
   - Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1860–1935), U.S. author and feminist.
Perkins favored the centralization and professionalization of much
housework, both to improve its quality and (more importantly) to free
women for other pursuits.
-- via
http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/
sitesearch?FILTER=&query=centralization