Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Dominique <op...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/08 16:34:40 UTC

Re: very large number of documents

as you may have noticed, I bundled my quite succesfull efforts to
speedup Lenya with large sitetrees at the following wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/Large%20number%20of%20documents%20HOWTO

I put it under Tutorials/Performance.
Note that I left the sitetree.xml concept, did some tests and even
with 100 000 docs response times were acceptable (which is all I
need).

Any comments are welcome !

bye,

Dominique

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Dominique wrote:
> as you may have noticed, I bundled my quite succesfull efforts to
> speedup Lenya with large sitetrees at the following wiki:
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/Large%20number%20of%20documents%20HOWTO
>

> I put it under Tutorials/Performance.
> Note that I left the sitetree.xml concept, did some tests and even
> with 100 000 docs response times were acceptable (which is all I
> need).
>
> Any comments are welcome !

thanks for this valuable contribution!

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

Re: very large number of documents

Posted by Dominique <op...@gmail.com>.
I did this for 1.2, since I'm only familiar with that (and just
updated the Wiki to make that clear). If I find the time I may look at
the 1.4 and maybe submit some patches.

Functionality changes:

-The default "menu.xsl" in Lenya 1.2 shows, beside the children of the
current nodee, also all "children nodes" of the brothers/sisters of
the current node. With the selective-sitetree generator this will not
happen (in its current implementation). Yet I found this default
behaviour counter-intuitive and it was one of the first things I
removed even before my selective-sitetree. ( removed 1
<xsl:apply-templates select="nav:node"/>  in menu.xsl )

-The delete, archive .... usecases will not check for links that will
not work anymore

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Dominique wrote:

> as you may have noticed, I bundled my quite succesfull efforts to
> speedup Lenya with large sitetrees at the following wiki:
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/Large%20number%20of%20documents%20HOWTO
>

> I put it under Tutorials/Performance.

this sounds great :-) Did you do this for 1.2 or 1.4?

Would it make sense to apply this as a patch or does it leave some other
functionality out?

Cheers

Michael

> Note that I left the sitetree.xml concept, did some tests and even
> with 100 000 docs response times were acceptable (which is all I
> need).
>
> Any comments are welcome !
>
> bye,
>
> Dominique
>
> On 27/04/07, Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> wrote:

>> reimpmenting the
>> >
>> > A site manager implementation that uses an RDBMS (e.g. via Hibernate)
>> > and maybe some caching might also be a reasonable approach.
>> > Basically you just need to store the node properties and
>> > parent-child relations.
>> >

>> At one stage I attempted to get my EJB backend to use a relational
>> model to render the sitetree. It didn't work very well, my biggest
>> problem was trying to delete a node from the tree. As the UnitOfWork
>> is the only thing which ultimately writes to the database, I had to
>> make each SiteTreeNode implement transactionable.
>>
>> The other problem I found, was that requests for sitetree.xml just ask
>> for the contents of the entire file. My ejb sitetree had to output
>> that xml, I tried various methods of caching that but it turned out to
>> be very inefficient.
>>
>> I'm now just storing the sitetree in xml format the same as the normal
>> lenya repository. If anyone has some suggestions of how to change the
>> cocoon pipelines which handle requests for the sitetree, so that it
>> can request a subset of the tree, I'd be interested in trying to
>> implement that.
>>
>> Michael Ralston

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61