Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> on 2023/02/17 05:01:11 UTC

[GitMigration] Rename Git Mirrors for XML Graphics Project

Dear All,

I just filed INFRA-24218 [1] to begin the process of migrating the
xmlgraphics SVN repositories to GitBox/GitHub.

I will coordinate with the project the starting date/time of the migration
after which further commits to the SVN repositories should not be performed.

Regards,
Glenn

Re: [GitMigration] Rename Git Mirrors for XML Graphics Project

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 4:07 AM Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We are using checkstyle and findbugs currently which allow offline use and
> use in commercial development without extra licensing.

Checkstyle is good for enforcing style rules, but our dependencies are
seriously out of date, currently referring to Maven Checkstyle Plugin 2.14
or 2.15, which use Checkstyle 5.8 and 6.1.1, respectively, and where both
are now ~8 years old (early 2015). The current version of the plugin is
3.2.1 which uses Checkstyle 9.3 by default (and can be configured to use
more recent versions of Checkstyle, for which the most recent version is
10.8.0).

Findbugs is an abandoned project, last released in 2015. Spotbugs is its
successor, so we should reconfigure to use the latter. Neither are focused
on vulnerability analysis or remediation.

This situation demonstrates the disadvantage of using a statically
configured analysis tool, when a cloud or server based tool is generally
always using the latest version.

> Do we want to switch to cloud based tools that currently allow our repo to
> be scanned.

For a major new feature I may not want to send to the cloud for scanning
> until I have permission to open source this change.

CodeQL is open sourced at [1], while SonarQube Community Edition is open
sourced at [2].

[1] https://github.com/github/codeql
[2] https://github.com/SonarSource/sonarqube

Here [3] is an article on the use of SonarQube in an Apache project (Apache
Struts). Also, according to [4], 418 Apache projects are configured to use
SonarCloud. See [5] for more on SonarLint, SonarQube, and SonarCloud.

[3] https://softwaremill.com/how-to-use-sonar-in-your-project/
[4] https://sonarcloud.io/organizations/apache/projects
[5] https://www.sonarsource.com/open-source-editions/

RE: [GitMigration] Rename Git Mirrors for XML Graphics Project

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We are using checkstyle and findbugs currently which allow offline use and use in commercial development without extra licensing.

Do we want to switch to cloud based tools that currently allow our repo to be scanned.

For a major new feature I may not want to send to the cloud for scanning until I have permission to open source this change.

Thanks

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Seems your config isn’t doing that.

Thanks

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
I haven't found a way to remove/suppress notifications for pushes to a
non-main branch. Moreover, some members of the commits ML may actually want
to see them all.

If you use GMail and want to search for these notifications, you can use
the following:

list:commits.xmlgraphics.apache.org gitbox.apache.org {"pushed a commit"
"pushed a change"} -{"to branch main" "to branch master"}

or, for a corresponding filter (but note truncation of {"pushed a commit"
"pushed a change"} in the following screenshot):

[image: Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 21.11.49.png]
[image: Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 21.12.22.png]

Posted by Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Glenn!