Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> on 2012/06/06 10:37:05 UTC

NetScaler Best Practices

Hi,

I'm looking for best practices with respect to:

a. when a client should be considering using a NetScaler for load balancing rather than the virtual router
b. the capacity setting for any given NetScaler model.

I understand that it depends on the type of load that the virtual router or NetScaler would experience, but we need to have some guidelines as a starting point.

Paul Angus
Consultant
ShapeBlue

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com

ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting and implementation services to help IT Service Providers and Enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise, combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service Providers and Enterprises to deliver true, utility based, IaaS to the customer or end-user.

________________________________

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.

Re: NetScaler Best Practices

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
This bug has some details of the optimizations done to HAProxy
configuration and the resulting performance
http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-8350

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Thanks Murali,
>
> I think they are questions that need some answers, otherwise we're just blindly guessing.  The virtual routers don't give any performance information out so we can't monitor them directly to see when a NetScaler might be appropriate.
>
> Fine-tuning capacity is ok, but we don't have a number to start with.

We've got a number of folks who have modified the systemVMs to provide
perf info over SNMP for that reason - and I think there is a RFE for
that as well.

--David

RE: NetScaler Best Practices

There isn't a best practice document. At this point I doubt if there could be clear recommendation when a customer should move from virtual router to NetScaler. Logically any customer that want high throughput or think software load balancer in virtual router will not fit their needs could consider a network offering that gives NetScaler as LB. As CloudStack begins to have deeper integration (e.g. SSL termination) in upcoming releases with external devices their value add becomes more evident.

There is no recommendation for the 'capacity' as well. This value could depend on the throughput/pps a particular VPX/MPX/SDX device can handle or licensed for. There is no inherent notion of tenant in the NetScaler devices (at least with MPX, VPX) based on which you can reserve  the resources (CPU cores, throughput etc) or provide QoS guarantees. So CloudStack currently uses simple hueristic of number of tenants a device can be used as capacity of the device. This value is cloud admin configured and editable so he can fine tune what capacity should be.

RE: Failed to create vloume(same can not create guest vm from template)

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
There is problem with your secondary storage SR (cf67c48d-02ab-a11e-d8b8-9c19f01fab70).

-abhi

RE: Very basic query but no boday ask me about creating template from guest vm

Posted by Venkata SwamyBabu Budumuru <ve...@citrix.com>.
Also we have an option to create a template out of a ROOT disk (pre-requisite is:  instance needs to be in stopped state).

-SWAMY

Posted by Venkata SwamyBabu Budumuru <ve...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Jewel Nuruddin <je...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All,

I have another problem, I could not create volume from snapshot.

Here is my log
If some one can help me.

2012-06-07 19:55:40,368 DEBUG [agent.transport.Request] (Job-Executor-10:job-366) Seq 5-49610833: Sending  { Cmd , MgmtId: 264216224466399, via: 5, Ver: v1, Flags: 100011, [{"CreateVolumeFromSnapshotCommand":{"primaryStoragePoolNameLabel":"30029a4c-c809-3980-8bd1-6287111bbe0c","snapshotUuid":"958045ab-f02d-4ce6-bb11-2ac2847c43ee","snapshotName":"e007a574-eca9-4e2b-9306-7ec9580ee622_ROOT-50_20120604061343","secondaryStorageUrl":"nfs://192.168.2.178/export/secondary","dcId":1,"accountId":2,"volumeId":66,"wait":600}}] }
2012-06-07 19:55:40,368 DEBUG [agent.transport.Request] (Job-Executor-10:job-366) Seq 5-49610833: Executing:  { Cmd , MgmtId: 264216224466399, via: 5, Ver: v1, Flags: 100011, [{"CreateVolumeFromSnapshotCommand":{"primaryStoragePoolNameLabel":"30029a4c-c809-3980-8bd1-6287111bbe0c","snapshotUuid":"958045ab-f02d-4ce6-bb11-2ac2847c43ee","snapshotName":"e007a574-eca9-4e2b-9306-7ec9580ee622_ROOT-50_20120604061343","secondaryStorageUrl":"nfs://192.168.2.178/export/secondary","dcId":1,"accountId":2,"volumeId":66,"wait":600}}] }
2012-06-07 19:56:51,947 ERROR [cloud.storage.StorageManagerImpl] (Job-Executor-10:job-366) Failed to create volume from e007a574-eca9-4e2b-9306-7ec9580ee622_ROOT-50_20120604061343 on pool Pool[200|NetworkFilesystem] due to null due to failed to scan sr cf67c48d-02ab-a11e-d8b8-9c19f01fab70
com.cloud.utils.exception.CloudRuntimeException: Failed to create volume from e007a574-eca9-4e2b-9306-7ec9580ee622_ROOT-50_20120604061343 on pool Pool[200|NetworkFilesystem]

Thanks

Failed to create vloume(same can not create guest vm from template)

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Jewel Nuruddin <je...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

So what if user work on a guest and he did lots of work on his vm and he want to keep this backup, so you guys ask me to take a snaphot, so in Cloudstack this snaphot will not run? then how can user get his current stats in a new vm ?
well you said make a template from this snapshot ....right ? yes I can make template .....but this template is not start or I can not create new vm from this template......
so what will be the way to take guest vm backup?

or please help me to take guest vm backup and use this backup in a later.

Thanks

Very basic query but no boday ask me about creating template from guest vm

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.