Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jason J. Czerak" <Ja...@minn.ppdi.com> on 2006/01/30 18:46:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Win32 Apahce 2.0.55 and mod_ssl

I'm benchmarking one of our sites. After some debugging I have found
that when the site has ssl enabled, performance starts to degrade very
rapidly, even to the point of rendering the server useless after 20
concurrent users.  The servers CPU resources are 2% at this point when
Apache fails.  So it's not a hardware limitation. The Same tests yields
very good results without SSL

Server: Win2k3
Apache: 2.0.55 + mod_ssl
Hardware: Dual CPU machine. 2 gigs ram.

Apache uses about 150megs ram at most.

The httpd.conf is default for the most part.

The application is an Apache::ASP (perl) based application

Are there any SSL tricks and tweeks that I can do?

--
Jason Czerak (Jason.Czerak@minn.PPDi.com)

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.

Re: [users@httpd] Win32 Apahce 2.0.55 mod_ssl & Apache::ASP

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jason J. Czerak wrote:
> I'm benchmarking one of our sites. After some debugging I have found
> that when the site has ssl enabled, performance starts to degrade very
> rapidly, even to the point of rendering the server useless after 20
> concurrent users.  The servers CPU resources are 2% at this point when
> Apache fails.  So it's not a hardware limitation. The Same tests yields
> very good results without SSL
>
> The application is an Apache::ASP (perl) based application

I suspect from your post that this is the flaw.  Can you first try stressing
only static documents (e.g. /images/* etc) and see if this happens with modperl
still loaded; then try stressing static documents without loading modperl?

Finally, if modperl is indicated, you need to be aware that modperl is very
tightly coupled with the protocol filtering, and it's entirely possible that
there is a negative interaction there.  Please post your results.

Bill