Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH" <of...@weberhofer.at> on 2010/01/21 16:17:05 UTC

Running Apache with the "Apache Commons Daemon" under Microsoft Windows

1)

I have been investigating a problem deploying an Application onto a Geronimo 2.1 or 2.2 Server on a Windows System using the "Apache Commons Daemon". The issue was, that I regularly got PermGenSpace errors.  Following the guides, I added "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" to geronimosrvw.exe's "Java Options". However, I tried many things, but didn't succeed;

After some time I found the issues http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-119 (and a related? bug http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-112), which are the reason for that issue:

Geronimo should - in my optinion - be started in "Java"-Mode. In Java (and the currently used exe-Mode) it is necessary to add all important options directly into the "start up"-"arguments" fields before the "-jar" line, which should be noticed in the Wiki.

That solved the PermGenSpace issue permanently for me.

2)

At the "shutdown" page, it is necessary to explicitly select the "Java"-Mode and set a timeout (30 seconds or so); otherwise the geronimo server will simply be killed without any chance to terminate gracefully.

The following parameters in the shutdown arguments-field should be changed when the password changes, which should be noticed in the Wiki, too:

--user
system
--password
manager

I have opened a issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5040

Best regards,
Johannes

--

|  weberhofer GmbH             | Johannes Weberhofer
|  information technologies    |
|  Austria, 1080 Wien, Blindengasse 52/3
|
|  Firmenbuch: 225566s, Handelsgericht Wien
|  UID: ATU55277701
|
|  phone : +43 (0)1 5454421 0  | email: office@weberhofer.at
|  fax   : +43 (0)1 5454421 19 | web  : http://www.weberhofer.at
|  mobile: +43 (0)699 11998315 |