Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2024/01/31 05:08:36 UTC

Use of Kapa.ai

Hi,

I’ve noticed ASF sites [1][2] use Kapa.ai, and I was wondering if there are any legal or privacy issues in its use.

Terms of service are here:
https://www.kapa.ai/content/terms-of-service

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://skywalking.apache.org/
2. https://apisix.apache.org/

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Jude Smith <sn...@gmail.com>.
The data provider issue is valid, if it hasn't gotten a thumbs up from the
VP of privacy. The chat logs for each user of the projects would be
assumably stored on Kapa's cloud somewhere and thus a potential privacy
issue.

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Christofer Dutz <cd...@apache.org>.
As it seems more apache projects are adopting kapa.ai, I think we would need to know, if this is allowed or not.

The list I currently know of:

- Apache Dubbo
- Apache SkyWalking
- Apache Apisix

Chris

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Unless I miss my guess, the assets from other domains has more to do with freeloading off something that is published elsewhere and a program calls to that source. It also creates the possible vulnerability that it could be changed by the source host.

My understanding is that this could be used to track users.

Kapa.ai is integrated via JavaScript like so, which loads a JS script from kapa.ai.
<script async
src="https://widget.kapa.ai/kapa-widget.bundle.js"
data-website-id="XXX-XXX-XXX"
data-project-name="PROJECT_NAME"
data-project-color="#HEX_COLOR_CODE"
data-project-logo="https://LINK_TO_LOGO.com/logo.png"
></script>

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Jude Smith <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Jude Smith <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Jude Smith <sn...@gmail.com>.
I am putting together (slower than I hoped) a whitepaper on ASFs position
on AI. I'm going to be disseminating it around to a few people and then
onto the listserv for comment and revision.

Your question is very... vast. Is there a particular aspect that you are
referring to? Or more of a general question?

The short answer is, yes to both. The slightly amended answer is yes, but
we are likely not overly concerned by either.

Without digging very far into either project, kapa.ai appears to be
compartmentalized as a quick reference to (primarily) Github, and thus
relatively modular to the projects themselves. Kapa is just a small
frontend app which calls to their cloud service for results.

Without running away on tangents, what legal and / or privacy issues
concern you?

JAS

Re: Use of Kapa.ai

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I did notice it is not listed as an external data provider here:
https://privacy.apache.org/policies/privacy-policy-public.html

And it is very likely not in line with policy here. i.e. "Using Assets from other Domains"
https://privacy.apache.org/policies/website-policy.html

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: Use of Kapa.ai