Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2015/07/07 05:25:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Creating Orc bylaws

Although a community of Orcs seems unlikely to have any rules (other than
the strongest one makes the rules), Apache projects are supposed to create
a set. I've borrowed heavily from the Hadoop and Hive bylaws, but take a
look to see if they look reasonable.

Comments desired.

https://github.com/omalley/orc/blob/bylaws/site/develop/bylaws.md

.. Owen

Re: [DISCUSS] Creating Orc bylaws

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
Looks good. The "Release Plan" on the dev list may be excessively
formal for such a focused project. -C

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Just to stir things up, how about oRC?

(Kidding, mostly.)

-- Lefty

Posted by Prasanth J <j....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Sandryhaila, Aliaksei" <al...@hp.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have some questions and comments, plus a long list of edits and trivia.
> I'll put the latter in a separate message tomorrow.
>
> Introduction
>
>    - '*Be collaborative.* Working together on the open lists to make
>    decisions helps the project grow.' -- Does 'open lists' mean the mailing
>    lists?  How about 'open mailing lists, JIRA, and review board'?  (or
> 'bug
>    database' instead of JIRA)

Yes, I meant the open mailing lists. Ok, to keep things general, I'll use
"open mailing lists and bug database". (We don't have a review board set up
and have been using the github integration.)

> Committers
>
>    - Please explain active vs. emeritus, for example by adding a sentence
>    such as 'Emeritus committers are inactive and lose their ability to
>    commit code or cast binding votes.'

ok

>    - Are emeritus committers removed from the Apache committers mailing
>    list?

 There aren't any committer only email lists, but no I don't think we
should remove emeritus pmc members from private.

> Release Manager
>
>    - Why must release managers be committers?  (In Hive that's not
>    required.)

It makes everything much easier if they are committers. In particular, they
should make the release branch at Apache instead of github. That only works
if they are committers.

>    - 'The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the dev mailing list' -- Note
>    that the Actions section doesn't include release plans, so this sentence
>    implies that the RM makes all the decisions.

I think that formal approval of the release plans shouldn't be required. If
the PMC doesn't accept the release plan, they can vote against the release.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
Ok, I've tried to incorporate the changes from Lefty here:

https://github.com/omalley/orc/commit/18ec4e206af6b0668d33061480e3ada632119d90

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Aarrgh, accidental Send.  Continuing, with overlap:
>
> Voting
>
>    - Although it's hedged with 'In general ...', I have qualms about saying
>    a +1 vote indicates willingness to make it happen.  I've already given
> some
>    +1 votes on the Orc project without any intention of lifting a finger to
>    take the action.  [DISCUSS]

Your votes are encouraged, Lefty. :) And I certainly appreciate your
efforts reviewing these
bylaws. The intent is to encourage voters to volunteer to work on issues
that are important to them.

>    - Why no vanilla '0' vote, as well as '+0' and '-0'?  [DISCUSS]

I just added that.

>    - 'Non binding votes are still useful for those with binding votes to
>    understand the perception of an action in the wider Orc community.' -- I
>    get the meaning, but find the phrasing of 'for those with binding votes'
>    awkward.  Besides, non-binding votes are useful to the whole community.
>    Sometimes they stimulate lively discussions.

How about:

All participants in the ORC project are encouraged to show their
agreement for or against a particular action by voting, regardless of
whether their vote is binding. Nonbinding votes are useful for
encouraging discussion and understanding the scope of opinions within
the project.

> Vetoes
>
>    - 'If a veto is not withdrawn, any action that has been vetoed must be
>    reversed in a timely manner.' -- Should that say 'any action that has
>    already been taken'?

ok

> Actions
>
>    - Why no action for release plans?

As I said above, I think we don't need to make the release plans a formal
vote. A discussion should be fine.

>    - Code Change:  'The code can be committed after the first +1.' --
>    Without any wait time?

Hive was a pretty special case. Very few projects have a wait period after
the code approval. Many let commits happen and review afterwards.

>    - Product Release:  Why lazy majority instead of lazy consensus?
>     [DISCUSS]

Mostly because Apache requires three active +1's for a release.

> New PMC Member
>
>    - 'To promote a committer to a PMC member, ...' -- This implies a
>    requirement of becoming a committer before joining the PMC.  None of the
>    current PMC members did that.  ;)  But seriously, do we want that
>    implication?

By far the majority of PMC members that are added to projects are first
added as committers. I think it makes the standard flow clearer.

> Committer Removal & PMC Member Removal
>
>    - Why allow removals with lazy majority instead of (non-lazy)
>    consensus?  I have serious misgivings about that.  Of course I don't
> expect
>    it will ever be a problem, but if there were a minority faction then its
>    members could be booted out one by one.  That doesn't sound like the
> Apache
>    Way.  [DISCUSS]

In a lot of ways, it is completely academic. I've never been on an Apache
project that removed anyone's access. To use the non-lazy form, you'd need
to be very aggressive about dropping people to emeritus. Otherwise, you'd
never get enough votes.

> Voting Timeframes
>
>    - 72 hours:  Should we add some flexibility?  Should releases have
>    longer timeframes?  What about long weekends or convention weeks?  I
>    suggest making the timeframe for releases longer and making 72 hours the
>    minimum, with an option of longer timeframes when appropriate.

Hmm. I agree that having flexibility is good. I'd rather not make the
minimum vote length even longer. I'd like ORC to be able make quick
releases for a while.

>    - 'Votes relating to code changes are not subject to a strict timetable
>    but should be made as timely as possible.' -- What does that mean?  The
>    Code Change section says patches can be committed after the first +1,
> which
>    implies immediately after.  Doesn't that cut off debate?  If anyone
> wants
>    to give a -1 vote to a patch, they'd better be quick about it.
> [DISCUSS]
>
> Whew!  Sorry about the long list.  (Aren't you glad I omitted the trivial
> items?)

If there is contention, we can always roll things back out. I'd rather not
have a mandatory
waiting period, if we can avoid it.

.. Owen

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.