Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Mark Lybarger <ml...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/05 08:57:33 UTC

Re: The good ol' JUnit problem

Jon,

This is a similar issue with the xalan classes in the 1.4 jdk.
they're exposed directly by sun (and other jvm's) as org.apache.*.
basically they just imported xalan and possibly other apache classes
into the jvm.  this gives your entire application (jvm) one chance to
override the version used by using the extensions folder.  not very
good when you have multiple web applications that each need a specific
version of xalan or what not.  i believe sun has fixed this issue in
1.5 jdk's with a method similar to what i did to get optional ant
tasks work w/o modifying the target environment.

here's what i did when i needed the scp task and found out the only
way to use ant's tasks was to modify the target environment to use
them (ie, ant/lib folder, user's ~/.lib folder, ant_opts env var,
etc).  i grabbed the ant source, and basically refactored the classes
for the tasks i needed to be in a different name space (different
package structure).  i believe i used external.org.apache.ant.* as the
base package structure.  next, the actual task names had to be
slightly modified.   i think this is in a .properties file or some
such.  i used m_scp i believe.  there's probably some magic you can do
with xml that will allow your builds to still use <scp>, but i chose
to explicitly indicate that the tasks were slightly modified from ant
distributed tasks.    thus, in my build.xml, i would have <m_scp> with
the same syntax as the <scp> task.  it's a bit if work, but it allows
you to have junit and others defined completely outside of a core ant
distribution.

it's nice that ant provides tasks for things they can't or won't
bundle with their distribution, but i would really like to see ant
distributed at least with the same tasks able to be defined
externally.  i'd be more than willing to help with this.  what i would
envision is ant providing in addition to it's ant/lib folder, a
ant/lib/external folder or perhaps an ant/external/lib folder that
contains the same tasks in an external.org.apache name space.  this
external lib folder would not be loaded by the default ant
classloader, but would be available for users to include libs as
needed.    i don't like much the <scp> .vs. <m_scp> issue, and it
would be very nice if both taskdefs could define a <scp> or <junit>
task w/o any collision.  i'm not sure how that would work.

good luck Jon!
~mark