Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Allison <ta...@tacocat.net> on 2005/12/20 16:00:37 UTC

[users@httpd] apache 1.3 vhosting

I've put most of my http config file at the bottom of this email.
The set up is:
I'm running in a DMZ.
I used to have only one domain name (tacocat.net) and am trying to change
this to vhost several more (start with two).
the domain names do resolve on the internet to the routers external IP
address.  I only have tacocat.net listed as a DNS domain on my internal
network.
When I try to pull up either domain, I see the correct domain being
requested in the access_log but consistently I get only my original
tacocat.net web page.

I have tried variations of
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
and
NameVirtualHost 192.168.10.3 w.x.y.z
VirtualHost 192.168.10.3 w.x.y.z
(where w.x.y.z is my external IP)

and nothing works.  It's always the same.
I've even tried to assign the VirtualHost for tacocat to an invalid IP
and it's still coming up as the only available web page.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem isn't my lacking anything in
the configuration file, but I've included something I shouldn't.  But
I haven't been able to identify any documentation to support this or
provide any insight beyond what I've already done.

help?

BindAddress *
Include /etc/apache/modules.conf
<IfModule mod_status.c>
   ExtendedStatus On
</IfModule>
Port 80
User www-data
Group www-data
ServerName cling.tacocat.net
DocumentRoot /var/www
<Directory />
     Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
     AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www>
     Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
      DocumentRoot /var/www/tacocat
      ServerName www.tacocat.net
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
      DocumentRoot /var/www/squammy
      ServerName www.squammy.com
</VirtualHost>
Include /etc/apache/conf.d

Re: [users@httpd] apache 1.3 vhosting

Posted by Tom Allison <ta...@tacocat.net>.
ludi wrote:
> Are you sure the server received the requests?

Yes I am.

Interestingly I think I've solved the problem....
Not sure how though.

Is there a difference between doing an 'apachectl restart' and 'apachectl stop;
apachectl start'?  Somewhere in the restarts over the last two days (many
restarts but only one stop...start) it started to "just work".  Maybe I was hung
on some 'cache' related issues somewhere.  I just don't really know.

I'm happy with the results, but I'm unhappy with my failure to "get it".

Re: [users@httpd] apache 1.3 vhosting

Posted by ludi <my...@gmail.com>.