Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/12/06 22:57:00 UTC

application/x-dvi

Anyone know why the default mime type for dvi is

application/x-dvi

?

(as in mime.type)

Why is it treated differently (with the "x-") to postscript or pdf ?

rob

Re: application/x-dvi

Posted by Rob McCool <ro...@netscape.com>.
Rob Hartill wrote:

> Anyone know why the default mime type for dvi is
>
> application/x-dvi
>
> ?
>
> (as in mime.type)
>
> Why is it treated differently (with the "x-") to postscript or pdf ?

If it came from the list that comes with NCSA httpd, I got it from a
listing Tony Sanders put together. As I recall, at the time DVI didn't
have a registered type and the convention for making up new subtypes is
to prefix them with x-

--Rob

Re: application/x-dvi

Posted by "David M. Oliver" <da...@newshare.com>.
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Nathan Schrenk wrote:

> As I understand it, there are certain "standard" MIME types and subtypes
> as documented in RFC 1521.  Any time you come up with a new type or subtype
> that isn't one of the standard documented MIME types, convention is to
> preface the identifier with "x-" to denote it as "experimental" or something.
> Since dvi is probably not listed in RFC 1521, it has a subtype of x-dvi
> instead of just dvi.

	I thought I remembered something special about the type
	"application" though.  Maybe it was from the internet draft
	not the RFC.  I recall that since the type "application" is
	virtually limitless in known and unknown sub-types, the x-
	was not required.  God, maybe I am all wet on this.

> This is also why the MIME type for server parsed html is
> text/x-server-parsed-html instead of text/server-parsed-html.

	thanks for setting me straight on this Nathan

dmo
| David Oliver                                   dave@newshare.com |
| Managing Director-Technology                Newshare Corporation |

Re: application/x-dvi

Posted by Nathan Schrenk <ns...@neog.com>.
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, David M. Oliver wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > Why is it treated differently (with the "x-") to postscript or pdf ?
>
> 	the name of the application is "xdvi" - no other reason I
> 	can think of to be honest.
>
> 	oh, unless within the type "application", the sub-type is
> 	an "extension".  But, that's a dumb idea.

As I understand it, there are certain "standard" MIME types and subtypes
as documented in RFC 1521.  Any time you come up with a new type or subtype
that isn't one of the standard documented MIME types, convention is to
preface the identifier with "x-" to denote it as "experimental" or something.
Since dvi is probably not listed in RFC 1521, it has a subtype of x-dvi
instead of just dvi.

This is also why the MIME type for server parsed html is
text/x-server-parsed-html instead of text/server-parsed-html.

Nathan

--
Nathan Schrenk						nschrenk@neog.com
Neoglyphics Media Corp.                              http://www.neog.com/

Re: application/x-dvi

Posted by "David M. Oliver" <da...@newshare.com>.
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Anyone know why the default mime type for dvi is

> 	application/x-dvi

	yes this is what we use.