Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alan Pearson <Al...@paramark.com> on 2001/11/07 18:15:06 UTC

Classic VM or HotSpot VM?

Hello all,
    I'm using Tomcat 3.2.3 with JDK 1.3.1 and configuring it to run with the
JNI connection to an IIS web server.  I notice that the workers.properties
specifies that the Classic VM should be used.  I examined the "normal"
startup mechanism that runs Tomcat as a separate process, and it doesn't
seem to explicitly specify the VM, so I assume that the default VM I have
configured, which is the HotSpot VM is used in that circumstance.
    Is there a compelling reason to use Classic VM with the JNI worker?  It
occurrs to me that the reason most people would use JNI worker instead of
ajp12/ajp13 is that they want a performance boost of not having to involve 2
processes in request handling and  the overhead of context switches between
them.  However, I wonder if the Classic VM gives as good performance as the
Hotspot VM does?

-  Alan Pearson