Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Piekorz Martin <pi...@primion.de> on 2008/05/26 08:59:00 UTC

[TRINIDAD] Implementation of Treemodel for tr:tree Example or a Howto?

Hi @ all,

does someone know or have a running example where he implemented his own treemodel? Or a example / javadoc where the whole idea how the model should be implemented is explained?
I am implementing my own treemodel. So I inherit from Treemodel and implement all the abstract methods.
In my model I have a department which has subdepartments and each subdepartment can also contain subdepartments ...
The model seems to work but the PPR seem not to work.
When I open the node in the UI then just the first child is shown. After calling refresh everything (the whole tree) is shown.
What could be the reason?

Thank a lot of.

Kind regards
Martin

Re: [TRINIDAD] Implementation of Treemodel for tr:tree Example or a Howto?

Posted by Dirk Krummacker <di...@gmail.com>.
You are writing that you implement your own TreeModel. Is it really
neccessary in your use case? In my experience the Trinidad framework
already can take care of a lot of things (including lazy loading of
children, for example).

I find the following approach very useful:

1. Create a bean that models a node/leaf in your tree with accessor
methods for properties (in your case: department name and such).
2. Add a "getChildren()" method that returns a list of these bean
instances (in your case: the subdepartments).
3. Wrap the root(s) of your tree in a list and then in a
ChildPropertyTreeModel .

A longer explanation can be found here:

http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/trinidad-api/apidocs/org/apache/myfaces/trinidad/model/ChildPropertyTreeModel.html

To your problem: How do you generate the children? Load them lazily
from the database? Is it possible that on the first load only the
first child is actually generated? Did you use a debugger in the place
where you create the children?

(Disclaimer: I have mostly used tr:treeTable and not tr:tree so this
may not be applicable to your case.)

HTH,

Dirk

Posted by javaRoooky <se...@gmx.de>.