Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com> on 2001/07/27 23:16:55 UTC

Re: [DOC] TC4 xdocs (tangent)

Since there is an active discussion about the Tomcat site itself,
implying that someone may be about to do a little work on it, I have a
simple suggestion. It would be a nice convenience if there were a new
section on the download page, maybe under a separate one of those
grayish-blue heading bars (entitled "Software Prerequisites" or
something), with a list of links to all of the various external packages
that Tomcat requires ... maybe with subsections of "Common" for packages
required by both 3.x and 4.0, "Additional for 3.x", "Additional for
4.x", and "Optional" for packages required by the optional components of
the either/both containers.

It's all in the README files, of course, but it would be incredibly
convenient if I could just start slamming downloads from a list of links
on a single page. I know this because I just installed 4.0 on a machine
for the first time (which me luck, I have almost no experience in the
4.0 branch :-), and I had to keep flipping back and forth between the
README and my browser to grab the ~8 additional packages that I needed.
I've had much worse inconveniences in my life, to be sure, but it would
be a fairly simple add to the site. Just a thought ...

Regards,

Christopher

P.S.  You probably already know this (I think I saw a thread on it last
week maybe), but someone should really fix the Catalina Configuration
page so that either the background is not black or the links are white
or something. It took me a minute or two to figure out that it actually
contained information. If it is awaiting an
Anakia/XSLT/DocBook/HTML/XML/Doxygen/God-Knows-What overhaul, in the
meantime someone should at least fix it so that the links show up ... on
the Jakarta site at the very least, if not in the distro CVS. I almost
just assumed that the doc hadn't been written yet before I checked the
page source on a whim. (Granted I have little knowledge of the 4.0 docs
at this point, but neither do first-time users.)

Re: [DOC] TC4 xdocs (tangent)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

> Christopher Cain wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > ... someone should really fix the Catalina Configuration  page so that
> > either the background is not black or the links are white or something.
>
> I'll even tell you the fix.
>
> categories.html: bgcolor="sky blue" --> bgcolor="skyblue"
>
> ;-)

Just applied this patch ... will show up in tonight's nightly.

Craig

Re: [DOC] TC4 xdocs (tangent)

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.

Re: [DOC] TC4 xdocs (tangent)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Christopher Cain wrote:

> Since there is an active discussion about the Tomcat site itself,
> implying that someone may be about to do a little work on it,

That's a correct supposition.  I'm planning on spending quite a bit of
time working on the developer docs (while others have volunteered to focus
on the user stuff).  To that end, I wanted to use Ant's <style> tag with a
global XSLT stylesheet that can be shared across projects (and is now
checked in to jakarta-site2).

> I have a
> simple suggestion. It would be a nice convenience if there were a new
> section on the download page, maybe under a separate one of those
> grayish-blue heading bars (entitled "Software Prerequisites" or
> something), with a list of links to all of the various external packages
> that Tomcat requires ... maybe with subsections of "Common" for packages
> required by both 3.x and 4.0, "Additional for 3.x", "Additional for
> 4.x", and "Optional" for packages required by the optional components of
> the either/both containers.

That's a good idea.  I'm just about to check in some updates to the
instructions for building Tomcat 4 from sources (including all the
dependencies).  I'll make sure it ends up on the web site as well
(eventually).

Craig