Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eunsu Kim <eu...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/10 10:05:26 UTC

Default Single DataCenter -> Multi DataCenter

Hello everyone

I operate 5 nodes cluster (3.11.0) in a single data center with SimpleSnitch, SimpleStrategy and all client policy RoundRobin.

At this point, I am going to create clusters of the same size in different data centers.

I think these two documents are appropriate, but there is confusion because they are referenced to each other.

https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsAddDCToCluster.html <https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsAddDCToCluster.html>
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsSwitchSnitch.html <https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsSwitchSnitch.html>

Anyone who can clearly guide the order? Currently RF is 2 and I want to have only one replica in the NetworkTopologyStrategy.
A little data loss is okay.

Thank you in advanced..

Re: Default Single DataCenter -> Multi DataCenter

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

> Q. Isn't it a problem that at this point, DCAwareRobinPolicy and
> RoundRobinPolicy coexist?

Why not change it on all clients at once? But no, it should not be a
problem as long as you have only 1 DC.

 Q1. Must I add the new seed nodes in five all existing nodes?

I generally pick 3 per DC that also become the contact points for the
clients to connect and get information about the whole cluster. Then I just
care about these nodes when removing them (it induces a change in the
client application configuration and on the seeds for all the
cassandra nodes). Change it and restart should be good.

Q2. Don't I need to update the seed node settings of the new cluster
> (mydc2)?

All nodes should use the same seed nodes. In this rack use, 2 or 3 nodes
from each rack on all the nodes (no matter the Data Center, each node
references all the seeds nodes).

The procedure looks to be about right, there are probably some details we
are missing while reading but that you will spot while running the test.

C*heers,
-----------------------
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - alain@thelastpickle.com
France / Spain