Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/29 22:12:51 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Usergrid 1.0.2 (incubating) RC3

The Usergrid PPMC has voted to release Usergrid 1.0.2.

Incubator PMC members please review and vote. Vote will close Wednesday
July 1 at 10:11 UTC.

Here is the vote thread:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-usergrid-dev/201506.mbox/%3cCAF1aazBHQ7JrvbpNV9wGui_F-hLA7PxoeaEtgSP6SpUy43bscg@mail.gmail.com%3e

And here is the release information:

All,

I have removed the ARSMaquette font files and made the LICENSE and NOTICE
file fixes that Justin Mclean pointed out. Thanks Justin! I tested the
portal and it seems to work fine without those files.

I propose that we accept the following release candidate as the official
Apache Usergrid 1.0.2 release.

Usergrid 1.0.2-rc3 includes the following:
---
The CHANGELOG for the release is available at:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-usergrid.git&f=CHANGELOG&hb=1.0.2-rc3
The branch used to create the release candidate is:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-usergrid.git&hb=1.0.2-rc3

The current Git commit ID is 5456bfc57329d4a18998c511d0559e0a6cfe5461

The release candidate is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/usergrid/1.0.2-rc3/apache-usergrid-1.0.2-rc3-incubating.tar.gz

The MD5 checksum of the release candidate can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/usergrid/1.0.2-rc3/apache-usergrid-1.0.2-rc3-incubating.tar.gz.md5

The signature of the release candidate can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/usergrid/1.0.2-rc3/apache-usergrid-1.0.2-rc3-incubating.tar.gz.asc

The GPG key used to sign the release are available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/usergrid/KEYS

Please download, verify, and test.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Usergrid 1.0.2 (incubating) RC3

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Jul 3, 2015 12:26 PM, "Dave" <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm changing my vote to -1 on RC3.
>
> I've already switched out the cat photo for a public domain battleship
> picture, made the LICENSE file changes you suggested and filed a JIRA
issue
> for adding version numbers there too. I'll be back with RC4 shortly.
>
> Justin: thanks for taking such a close look at the release.

I've found Justin to be the best at licensing around.  I always look for
his vote.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
+1 for release of 1.0.2

I'm going to hold this vote open for another 24 hours.

Please review and vote.

- Dave

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Sorry it’s +0 (binding) until cat photo license sorted. Seems trivial I know but photographers generally take copyright of their work seriously and we should;t be using anything without permission even if it’s just for test data.

I checked:
- incubating in release name
- DISCLAIMER exits
- Some minor LICENSE issues
- NOTICE file OK
- No unexpected binary files
- Possible issue with unlicensed cat photo? (see below)
- Can compile from source

Minor LICENSE issues - but need to be fixed for the next version:
- Missing license for ./portal/css/entypo/entypo.* [1] it’s CC by SA See [2]
- What is the license for ./portal/js/libs/jqueryui/date.min.js and ./portal/js/libs/jqueryui/jquery.ui.timepicker.min.js. I think this has come up before.
- Missing license for blanket_mocha.min.js. looks to be MIT. [3]
- Missing license for docs/_theme/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.svg. It licensed under SIL. [4]

The software versions are usually mentioned in LICENSE for permissively bundled software see [5] it would be good if you update your license to following this before graduation. [5] Apache NiFi does a good job of this [6] (although it uses the long form of the licenses where as the short form is prefered). Apache Falcon is a good example using the short form [7].

If you have any questions on how to add these to LICENSE just ask.

I notice that there an extra standard apache license in ./stack/LICENSE-2.0.txt. This can probably be removed and in fact may be missing required bundled bits from ./stack.

Do you have permission to use the file:
apache-usergrid-1.0.2-rc3-incubating/stack/rest/src/test/resources/cat-larger-than-6mb.jpg

If permission has been obtained I would of expected someone the in license file. It’s a nice cat photo and from the metadata it was taken by Mark Ahrens. A quick google search gives this:
https://markrahrens.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/farm-cat/

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.entypo.com
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa
3. https://github.com/alex-seville/blanket/blob/master/LICENSE-MIT
4. http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/ (at bottom of page)
5. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps
6. https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/blob/develop/nifi/LICENSE
7. https://github.com/apache/falcon/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Usergrid 1.0.2 (incubating) RC3

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Shouldn't this close Thursday at 2200 UTC ?

Either way +1 binding.