Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/21 15:36:09 UTC

[drlvm][vm] vm_strings.cpp compressing to 8-bit (was "question about support for compressed StringBuffers")

  All,
I took a look at this code.  I vote for keeping it.  The reason is because
Java is string intensive and historically things like string compression
make a difference to heap footprint and cache miss performance.   It looks
like a significant amount of work has already been put in this code.

Craig,
It would be great if you can work on this code and get it going.  I would be
happy to work with you to get the mods committed to Harmony svn.

From: *Craig Zilles <zi...@cs.uiuc.edu>*
To: *harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org*
Date: *Sep 19, 2006 1:24 PM*
Subject: *question about support for compressed StringBuffers*
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete
this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?

       I noticed in the file trunk/vm/vmcore/src/util/vm_strings.cpp there
is some code to support the storage of strings in arrays of (8b)
bytes rather than arrays of (16b) unsigned shorts.  In the debugger,
I placed breakpoints in this code, and it was never active in my run.

       Can someone tell me the current status of this code and, if it is
active, how I can turn it on?  (From inspecting the source, it looked
inactive via hardcoding "false" on whether to compress the strings).
I might be interested in working on this code.

                           - Craig

      Reply Forward Invite Craig to Gmail
          Ivan Volosyuk    to harmony-dev
 More options   Sep 20 (23 hours ago)
 This is an old code and it is unused for quite some time. Most likely
it is broken.
--

Ivan

On 9/20/06, Craig Zilles <zi...@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>         I noticed in the file trunk/vm/vmcore/src/util/vm_strings.cpp
there
> is some code to support the storage of strings in arrays of (8b)
> bytes rather than arrays of (16b) unsigned shorts.  In the debugger,
> I placed breakpoints in this code, and it was never active in my run.
>
>         Can someone tell me the current status of this code and, if it is
> active, how I can turn it on?  (From inspecting the source, it looked
> inactive via hardcoding "false" on whether to compress the strings).
> I might be interested in working on this code.

      Reply Forward Invite Ivan to chat
         Geir Magnusson Jr.    to harmony-dev
 Hide options   Sep 20 (14 hours ago)   From: *Geir Magnusson Jr. <
geir@pobox.com>* Mailed-By: *incubator.apache.org* Reply-To: *
harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org*
To: *harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org*
Date: *Sep 20, 2006 4:08 PM*
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete
this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?
 So do we fix it or scrap it?

geir

--
Weldon Washburn