Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> on 2013/10/01 05:02:46 UTC

Re: OpenJDK or OracleJDK

On 9/30/2013 9:28 AM, Raheel Hasan wrote:
> hmm why is that so?
> Isnt Oracle's version a bit slow?

For Java 6, the Sun JDK is the reference implementation.  For Java 7,
OpenJDK is the reference implementation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_implementation

I don't think Oracle's version could really be called slow.  Sun
invented Java.  Sun open sourced Java.  Oracle bought Sun.

The Oracle implemetation is likely more conservative than some of the
other implementations, like the one by IBM.  The IBM implementation is
pretty aggressive with optimization, so aggressive that Solr and Lucene
have a history of revealing bugs that only exist in that implementation.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: OpenJDK or OracleJDK

Posted by Raheel Hasan <ra...@gmail.com>.
This sounds interesting... Thanks guyz for the replies.. :)

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com

> A while back I remember we notices some SPM users were having issues
> with OpenJDK.  Since then we've been recommending Oracle's
> implementation to our Solr and to SPM users.  At the same time, we
> haven't seen any issues with OpenJDK in the last ~6 months.  Oracle
> JDK is not slow. :)
>
> Otis
> --
> Solr & ElasticSearch Support -- http://sematext.com/
> Performance Monitoring -- http://sematext.com/spm
>

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM, Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> > On 9/30/2013 9:28 AM, Raheel Hasan wrote:
> >> hmm why is that so?
> >> Isnt Oracle's version a bit slow?
> >
> > For Java 6, the Sun JDK is the reference implementation.  For Java 7,
> > OpenJDK is the reference implementation.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_implementation
> >
> > I don't think Oracle's version could really be called slow.  Sun
> > invented Java.  Sun open sourced Java.  Oracle bought Sun.
> >
> > The Oracle implemetation is likely more conservative than some of the
> > other implementations, like the one by IBM.  The IBM implementation is
> > pretty aggressive with optimization, so aggressive that Solr and Lucene
> > have a history of revealing bugs that only exist in that implementation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn

Raheel Hasan

Re: OpenJDK or OracleJDK