Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/09 15:27:40 UTC

[commons-release-plugin] Next

Rob and all:

What's next for the release plugin? How about handling moving the files
from dist to release as noted in
http://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html (Steps 1 and 2)?

Gary

Re: [commons-release-plugin] Next

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On May 9, 2018, at 1:11 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> For me, it's what happens _after_ a VOTE passes that is the most time
> >> consuming. Any help there would be great.
> >>

> > Also, generating the VOTE email is a minor pain and error prone. I
> usually
> > mess up the "vote ends at this date and time" part. If we do this part,
> we
> > should probably only worry about git since we just VOTEd to move
> everything
> > from svn to git.
> >

> It doesn’t seem too hard to generate the VOTE email. I can put that in the
> backlog too.

Thanks Rob!

Gary

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On May 10, 2018, at 10:34 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> usually
> >> we
> >> everything
> >>>

> >> How about just saying the vote will last at least 72 hours? Emails have
> >> timestamps in them. ;)
> >>

> > Genius idea! :-)
> >
> > Another item would be to have ONE Maven call instead of SIX for:
>
> Agree on that point. I suppose we could re-work the build plugin to do all
> of those at once, or to build another target that does all of them together
> leaving the separate ones as well.

I think creating a _new_ target is the way to go. I am sure some RMs will
want the finer grained control.

Curious: Have you looked at that code?

Gary

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <mb...@apache.org>.
I'm going to want to release [weaver] soon as well, so I might like to
participate with plugin development.

Matt

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On May 13, 2018, at 4:18 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 13, 2018, 12:00 Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>>> On May 13, 2018, at 10:26 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> To be clear, I think we need a new goal for
>>> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-build-plugin/index.html, one
>> that
>>> invokes all. That would mean a new version of the _build_ plugin, as
>>> opposed to the _release_ plugin.
>>>

>> Right. That was my impression.
>>

> I have a first cut done. Can you review?

Looking.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 May 2018 at 12:11, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, generating the VOTE email is a minor pain and error prone. I
> usually
> > mess up the "vote ends at this date and time" part. If we do this part,
> we
> > should probably only worry about git since we just VOTEd to move
> everything
> > from svn to git.
> >

> How about just saying the vote will last at least 72 hours? Emails have
> timestamps in them. ;)

Genius idea! :-)

Another item would be to have ONE Maven call instead of SIX for:

Update the download xml file
> The download page on the website is created from the file
> src/site/xdoc/download_{component}.xml. The XML file is created using mvn
> commons:download-page [-Dcommons.release.version=m.n]. Check that the
> changes (if any) are correct and commit the updated file.
> Update the other autogenerated files
> Various files are autogenerated using the commons build plugin.
>
>    - CONTRIBUTING.md - mvn commons:contributing-md
>

>    - README.md - mvn commons:readme-md
>

>    - src/site/xdoc/issue-tracking.xml - mvn commons:jira-page
>

>    - src/site/xdoc/mail-lists.xml - mvn commons:mail-page
>
> Check that the changes (if any) are correct and commit the updated
> file(s).

Gary

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.