Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Vinayak W <vi...@kalkitech.in> on 2009/08/19 12:52:35 UTC

How to use Jmeter to test web application

Hi All,

Can any body help me for following questions.
1) As i am manual tester for last 2 years, i dont know much about testing
tools. Now i have to test web application, so i feel JMETER is good one to
test same. Guide me how to start testing. I m going through User Manual but
i am not able catch things listed in manual as i am fresher to application.
So request to share your exp in same.

2) How to invoke my web application to test(GUI, Functional and Performance
tesing) ?

3) This application is divided in two parts Window based and Web based.
Whether JMETER is suitable for same ?

4) How can i prepare test plan for this web application using JMETER.

Thanks in Advance
Vinayak.

Re: How to use Jmeter to test web application

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
1), It depends on what you want to test. Jmeter is primarily written to
perform load/stress tests of web applications but can be used for functional
tests as well for a web application. To really use JMeter you must
understand how HTTP works so read that first. JMeter can simulate HTTP
Requests and test the responses it receives. It cannot simulate the rest of
the browser functionality. So for e.g. you cannot test if the javascript in
a page works, you cant test if the page renders correctly , you cant test if
the web application works correctly on all browsers. There are various
Jmeter tutorials available , use google.

3) Jmeter cant test the windows based app.