Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> on 2017/07/02 18:42:39 UTC

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Hi Julien, all,

I'd like to resurrect this discussion and the activities to improve the
OFBiz user interface. I think we really should put some focused effort
on it if we want OFBiz to be recognized as a modern ERP. Also, if we
imporve the UI, more users and also developers will be attracted which
will be a win for the community and further development of OFBiz.

Nicolas and others who have started work on this: can you give us an
update about the efforts undertaken and where we stand?

[1] and [2] seem to be abandoned for a while but maybe there are efforts
which are simply not reported since then?

Thanks for an update and best regards,

Michael

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/UI+Improvement

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9137

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Ah, thanks for the pointer, Jacques.

I forgot about this and will have a look at the work Nicolas did there
so far.

Regards,

Michael

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
That makes sense Taher and was already discussed and mostly agreed IIRW.

There is even a Jira for that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5776

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Taher,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Taher,

I agree that all ressources like images, css etc. should be moved away
in a foundation component. I am not sure if I can follow your suggestion

Posted by Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com>.
+1  It'd be way easier to create a template.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
These are good news, Nicolas :-)

I started to review your efforts on common-theme but might not have
digged deep enough to notice the separation layer (there are many
changes already). I thought that it just moved the base theme and images
stuff out of the framework.

I really appreciate your priority change and look forward to the new
base for theming.

In the meantime I will start to do some prototyping for a new theme as a
base for further discussion (a picture is worth a thousand words ;-) )

Kind regards,

Michael

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I totally agree Deepak!

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> I'd also let Angular out of the picture. Some prefer React (initially from FB) and I wonder what those who have used Angular 1 think about Angular
> 2! I also remember another Google "attempt": GWT. Are there still people using it with OFBiz? I guess you get my point, trends pass and tools with
> them...
This https://hackernoon.com/the-javascript-phenomenon-is-a-mass-psychosis-57adebb09359

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by James Yong <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

For those who wanted to evaluate JSF further, I have done a simple POC with patch available at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9469.