Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ChangQing Zhou <cz...@uhc.com> on 2002/10/08 17:30:04 UTC

Whats the best way to use Struts?

We have an existing framwork in house handling everything from web to servlet to server. We are now trying to use J2EE standard to build a new application fits in the current framework. The application is very simple - less than 10 pages for patients to submit and review some medical information.

I have developed a servlet controller based on J2EE recommended patterns, such as Command Pattern and Front Pattern. The controller is very very simple and it works fine. The behavior of the app is almost the same as Struts. I feel It is very simple and east to support in production if anything goes wrong.

I have been working on Struts for almost a year. Should I use Struts framework(more than 10 jar files) for my application, instead of my simple controller? My concerns are that 1)Need time to learn whats in Struts and we have deadlines; 2)Our application is very simple and we are not going to use most of the features of Struts; 3)The thing I have is following J2EE standards and patterns, Do I really need to use the whole thing of Struts? 4)If anything goes wrong, it would be harder to solve the problem.

Can anybosy tell me your experience? Are you using the Struts framework(more than 10 jars) or are you having your own framework but following the recommendation and practices of Struts, and J2EE?

Thanks,

ChangQing