Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by James Marca <jm...@translab.its.uci.edu> on 2010/02/27 01:12:54 UTC

Replication question

Hi all,

I'm trying to replicate a database and not have to duplicate the view
building part.  As a test, I just used futon to replicate one database
into a new database.

I was expecting that the views would copy over too, but they
don't...looking in /var/lib/couchdb I see the .original_design
directory, but the .copy_design directory is empty.

Are design documents supposed to be replicated or not?

I have auth turn on, and I'd read somewhere in the mailing list that
it can sometimes cause problems with replication, but I can't find
details.

My eventual use case is a data collection application.  I want to have
a single master db that pulls in data from several detector-specific
dbs.  Each sensor db will be computing its own data views, but I don't
want to have to repeat that work on the master server, I just want to
merge the trees together, if that is possible.  Also I've found that
view generation tends to be faster if the data is split up into a
bunch of small dbs than if it is one big db, but that time savings is
meaningless if the big db also has to crunch the data.

I'm running 0.11.x, pulled from the github repo on about Jan 13 (git
commit 67b876687796a64580d76f94b540d55fb8f4f4e7).

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

James Marca

believed to be clean.

Re: Replication question

Posted by Paweł Stawicki <pa...@gmail.com>.
Yon need to be admin to create ddocs. So when entering url to
replicate to in futon, you need to enter
http://admin:pass@remote.com:5984/database

regards
--
Paweł Stawicki