Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by William McKee <wi...@knowmad.com> on 2002/07/31 14:32:15 UTC

Warnings clarification

Hi, I've been using Perl for several years to develop simple CGI applications for my
clients. I'm now in the process of migrating to mod_perl for the performance benefit
it gives. In so doing, I've been lurking on this list and reading the Guide.

Presently, I'm trying to debug a problem with a segmentation fault in the Petal
module that Jean-Michel Hiver announced a couple weeks ago on this list. As I was
reading the guide, "The Importance of Warnings" section in the Debugging chapter,
suggested setting PerlWarn On on the development machine. My question is
whether this setting is the same as the -w switch and the 'use warning' pragmas. I
suspect it is, but the guide did not clarify this point.

Thanks,
William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration

Re: Warnings clarification

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
William McKee wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2002 at 20:56, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Have you read this?
>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Warnings
>

> No, I was reading this--
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/debug.html#The_Importance_of_Warnings
>
> The information in the link you posted is I was seeking. Perhaps a cross-reference
> would be useful.

I just added it.

Re: Warnings clarification

Posted by William McKee <wi...@knowmad.com>.

Re: Warnings clarification

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
William McKee wrote:
> Hi, I've been using Perl for several years to develop simple CGI applications for my
> clients. I'm now in the process of migrating to mod_perl for the performance benefit
> it gives. In so doing, I've been lurking on this list and reading the Guide.
>
> Presently, I'm trying to debug a problem with a segmentation fault in the Petal
> module that Jean-Michel Hiver announced a couple weeks ago on this list. As I was
> reading the guide, "The Importance of Warnings" section in the Debugging chapter,
> suggested setting PerlWarn On on the development machine. My question is
> whether this setting is the same as the -w switch and the 'use warning' pragmas. I
> suspect it is, but the guide did not clarify this point.

Have you read this?
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#Warnings

If yes, what part you are still confused about? I think the definitions
are very clear.