Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2014/05/23 15:54:20 UTC

volunteering to manage release 10.11.1

I am volunteering to manage our next feature release, 10.11.1, as
described here:
https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenElevenOneRelease. As you can
see, I am hoping we can hit the following targets:

2014-06-09 - Release notes circulated

2014-06-16 - First release candidate published

2014-07-11 - GA

The following issues with Blocker urgency appear in the list of issues
which block the release
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12315324):

DERBY-6583 - Security Guide must be added to Derby documentation page

DERBY-6580 - Document the new SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_PEEK_AT_IDENTITY function

DERBY-6552 - The public api includes methods inherited from superclasses
which aren't in the public api and so have no javadoc comments

DERBY-6547 - testDERBY5120NumRowsInSydependsForTrigger fails when the
starting version of the upgrade trajectory is 10.10.2.0

Please us know if you need more time to wrap up your 10.11 work or if
you think that additional issues should block the release.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: volunteering to manage release 10.11.1

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
> I am volunteering to manage our next feature release, 10.11.1, as described here: https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenElevenOneRelease.

This looks like a wonderful release!

I'm quite excited to see that Derby still grows and adds
significant new features, so many years (decades!) after
it was first built.

Thanks everyone for continuing to put the effort into Derby.

bryan

Re: volunteering to manage release 10.11.1

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 5/23/14 9:21 AM, mike matrigali wrote:
> Rick could you add the work changing the identity column
> implementation to the feature page somehow.  I know it is not really a
> new feature as it "just" changes the underlying implementation, but
> I believe at this point it changes documentation, and if not done right
> could have serious impact on existing applications.  I plan on signing
> up to buddy test this, so just easiest to have it on the list.  Not sure
> which JIRA to track this under so whatever you prefer.
Hi Mike,

I have added this bug fix to the feature list, using DERBY-6542 as the
tracking issue, and I have signed you up for buddy-testing it.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by mike matrigali <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 5/23/14 12:15 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 5/23/14 9:43 AM, mike matrigali wrote:
>> This scheduling seems pretty aggressive, especially if you expect much
>> progress on outstanding bugs.  Also July (and august if we slip) are
>> likely times when people are on vacation.
>>
>> Could you post a list or a query earlier than 6/9 with list of all
>> changes going into 10.11 that are not in 10.10?  Just the JIRA numbers
>> are fine, not looking for release note quality.  Want something to
>> give idea about compatibility risk of this release.
> Sure. I'll send this out next week.
Here are the issues which are marked as fixed in 10.11.1 but not in
10.10.2.0:

[DERBY-6577] Quantified comparison returns wrong result in CASE,
COALESCE, IN and BETWEEN
[DERBY-6575] LangScript.floattypes gets REAL instead of expected DOUBLE
[DERBY-6574] Add privileges checking to SET CONSTRAINTS
[DERBY-6571] Document deferrable constraints
[DERBY-6567] Incorrect nullability for CASE expression with parameter
[DERBY-6566] Simplify handling of untyped nulls in CASE and NULLIF
expressions
[DERBY-6564] Document the experimental, optional LuceneSupport tool.
[DERBY-6563] NOT elimination for CASE expressions is broken
[DERBY-6562] Failed to delete directory in
LuceneSupportPermsTest.test_005_deleteDirectory()
[DERBY-6561] Organization topics of some manuals need updating
[DERBY-6560] Reference manual says ELSE clause is required in CASE
expressions
[DERBY-6559] A immediate Fk constraint blows up iff its referenced PK is
deferred and we delete a duplicate
[DERBY-6554] Too much contention followed by assert failure when
accessing sequence in transaction that created it
[DERBY-6553] Sequence generator makes CREATE TRIGGER fail with internal
error
[DERBY-6547] testDERBY5120NumRowsInSydependsForTrigger fails when the
starting version of the upgrade trajectory is 10.10.2.0
[DERBY-6546] Database can't be dropped on Windows using the decoration
of LuceneSupportPermsTest
[DERBY-6545] Should not be able to add a default to an identity column
[DERBY-6543] Syntax error when reference to transition variable has
whitespace around it
[DERBY-6540] Schema-qualified table names could be mistaken for
transition tables
[DERBY-6537] StringUtil.fromHexString is used to convert encryptionKey
to byte[]
[DERBY-6535] Remove storageFactory field from subclasses of InputStreamFile
[DERBY-6534] Remove StorageFile.getURL() and its implementations
[DERBY-6532] sysinfo does not show derbyTesting package info if
junit.jar not in classpath
[DERBY-6529] nightly regression test failure in newly added junit test
TriggerGeneralTest
[DERBY-6527] Fix errors in foreign keys documentation
[DERBY-6526] Document the MERGE statement
[DERBY-6523] Convert lang/triggerBeforeTrig.sql to JUnit
TriggerBeforeTrigTest
[DERBY-6521] Improve error handling when restricting file permissions
[DERBY-6520] Convert lang/triggerGeneral.sql to JUnit TriggerGeneralTest
[DERBY-6519] Convert lang/joinDeadlock.sql to JUnit JoinDeadlockTest
[DERBY-6518] JVMInfo should not use parseFloat() to parse
java.specification.version
[DERBY-6517] Convert lang/consistencyChecker.sql to JUnit
ConsistencyCheckerTest
[DERBY-6516] Convert lang/nestedCommit.sql to JUnit NestedCommitTest
[DERBY-6515] ij doesn't list its command NoHoldForConnection in the help
menu
[DERBY-6514] Convert lang/aggbuiltin.sql to JUnit AggBuiltinTest
[DERBY-6509] Convert lang/currentSchema.sql to JUnit CurrentSchemaTest
[DERBY-6508] Convert lang/LOBDB2compatibility.sql to JUnit
LOBDB2compatibilityTest
[DERBY-6507] Convert lang/fk_nonSPS.sql to JUnit ForeignKeysNonSpsTest
[DERBY-6505] Clean up dead code in FileUtil
[DERBY-6503] Starting network server on a network drive fails with JDK 7
on Windows
[DERBY-6502] Failure in OnlineCompressTest
[DERBY-6501] change 10.10 version of CastingTest.java to build/run under
jsr169
[DERBY-6495] Error in SelectivityTest.testBasic
[DERBY-6493] Improve reporting of exceptions wrapped in
InvocationTargetException
[DERBY-6488] Get rid of the EmbedSQLException class
[DERBY-6485] Failure in SimpleApp test
[DERBY-6484] Include SQLState in client exception messages
[DERBY-6480] Oracle Java documentation URLs need updating
[DERBY-6478] Fix language about supported DataSources for Compact Profiles
[DERBY-6469] Change the documentation to reflect new RDBNAM limit of
1024 bytes
[DERBY-6467] Document context-aware table functions.
[DERBY-6465] Add JDK 9 to the list of JVMs which can be used to build
and test Derby
[DERBY-6462] Provide more information about database name and path syntax
[DERBY-6459] Remove Class.forName calls that load JDBC driver from Derby
samples/demos
[DERBY-6458] The Reference Manual should state that the year, month, and
day components of a timestamp must be positive integer&
[DERBY-6454] DROP TABLE documentation could clarify how triggers are
handled
[DERBY-6453] Remove dead code in InsertResultSet and flag
skipCheckConstraints
[DERBY-6447] Use StrictMath for more functions in SYSFUN
[DERBY-6446] Test ordering problem in GrantRevokeDDLTest
[DERBY-6441] Non-deterministic query results in GrantRevokeDDLTest
[DERBY-6437] ConstraintCharachteristicsTest testLockingWithRollback or
testLockingWithCommit failing on trunk with AssertionFai&
[DERBY-6434] Incorrect privileges may be required for INSERT and DELETE
statements.
[DERBY-6432] INSERT/UPDATE incorrectly require user to have privilege to
execute CHECK constraints on the target table.
[DERBY-6431] Update Developer's Guide topic to include generated columns
[DERBY-6429] Privilege checks for UPDATE statements are wrong.
[DERBY-6424] Document thenExpression
[DERBY-6423] The expression syntax in CASE's THEN clause doesn't accept
boolean value expression
[DERBY-6421] Cast to UDT in CHECK constraint causes NPE or assert failure
[DERBY-6420] Clarify how DROP statements work on trigger dependencies
[DERBY-6419] Make BTree scan honor  OPENMODE_LOCK_NOWAIT for row locks.
[DERBY-6410] ClassCastException when launching derby from windows subst
drive
[DERBY-6407] Add a way to set, rollback, and release save points using
IJ (derbytools).
[DERBY-6390] Document the WHEN clause in the CREATE TRIGGER statement
[DERBY-6386] Errors in jdbc4.LobStreamTest if derbyclient.jar is first
in the classpath

Hope this helps,
-Rick

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.