Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/12/21 20:48:37 UTC

Xalan-J 2.7.1 release - legal packaging fixes needed

The Xalan-J 2.7.1 release will probably won't happen until January.

The status is this:
> Regressions seen for XSLTC were fixed
> Other regressions for XSLTC were seen, but these were due to a classpath
issue during the testing
  (THANKS TO YASH FOR DOING THE TESTING!)

> Website updates for the release notes, and other changes to the website
for 2.7.1 are done

The  PMC needs to VOTE on the release (the 2.7.1 branch) being OK, but we
won't vote on this until the next packaging point is cleared up.

The packaging of the distribution does not have the NOTICE and LICENSE
files quite right.  It has them in a 'licenses' subdirectory.
If any of you developers has an idea of how we should clean this up before
we ask the PMC to VOTE please post to this mailing list.

You can have a look at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-2358
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://www.apache.org/licenses/

In addition from some legal discussions on the Apache legal mailing list I
grabbed this fragment:
<<=======================================================

> The new rules for applying licences to source files are at:
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

This doc is the normative one right now, although I need to move the
doc to /dev and put in a redirect .

> However, there are still some rules at:
>
> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

Much of this is redundant or conflicting with [1], but there is still
some good stuff here that needs to not get lost (e.g. copying or
referencing third-party licenses in the LICENSE file).

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Once the NOTICE and LICENSE issues are resolved we can go forward with the
VOTE on 2.7.1 being good to go.

- Brian